Skip to main content

Book Review // Shades of Gray

Book Review // Shades of Gray

"He'd be courteous, and he'd help out all he could to make up for being an extra mouth to feed. But he'd never call him Uncle Jed. Never!" from Shades of Gray
I'm going to start doing book reviews ever so often. Today I just went to our bookshelves and grabbed a good book to review. It would take a looooong time if I tried to do a review on every book we own so I wont try! I hope to do these quiet a bit though if I can. Would you enjoy that? Wait. Don't tell me until you read my review.

First, here's how my rating works:
  • One star- Don't read it. 
  • two star- A possible one time read.
  • three- It's a pretty good book.
  • four star- A recommended read!
  • Five star- The best of the best!

Most of the books I'll share will probably be four star, because I save five star for the absolute best, the books I read over and over and over, with good morals and and all that. Sound good to you?
 Today I picked Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder.
Thought-provoking story of a boy who was orphaned by the Civil War as
he struggles to forgive "the enemy" and discover what true courage is
all about.
I give this book four stars. 
Plot: "The civil War was over, but it had taken a terrible toll on twelve-year-old Will Page. His father and Brother had been killed by the Yankees; his sisters died of typhoid, and his mother of grief. An orphan, Will was forced to live with his Uncle Jed, a traitor to the Confederacy!" I took this of the back of the book.
  This book got me from the first page, I first read it a few years ago. My brother highly recommended it to me so I read it! I loved it. It is written simply and is easy to follow. But it does make you feel everything right along with Will. You feel his anger, his fear, his hurt, and his struggles right with him. It was intended for younger readers but I think anyone could enjoy it. It's not often you find a book about kids after the Civil War.
 What I like in the book:  Shades of Gray is about forgiveness, and healing. I like how many aspects there are to the story that seem to all connect. All though Will is on the Confederate side you get a glimpse of the good and bad on both side during the war. I feel as though it helped me get grips that it doesn't really matter what side you think is right or wrong anymore. The battles themselves are over but there is still a "war" going on. People go around and around about which side was right during the war. But it was in God's hands like everything is still to this day, and What happened is what was supposed to happen. I love each person in the story, because you get to see just enough of their character at the right time in the story.
 How it could be better: There's not much I can say about this except I wish they spoke about Jesus in the story. There may have been a few references to the Bible but I don't remember. There's a time they take God's name vain, when one of the boy's is telling a story about the war. But there's nothing else that I can remember.
 A few quotes:
-Will stepped forward. "Leave her alone, Hank."
"You gonna make me?"
For once, Will didn't know what to say. He had to look out for Meg, but- His heart seemed to skip a beat when Hank stooped over pick up a piece of bark, placed it on his shoilder, and stared at him defiantly.

- "Don't worry, Will. I know you didn't mean to sound selfish. I know you'd gladly go hungry for a week if Jim had fought for the South and that it's having a Yankee under the same roof that's upset you."
 Under the same roof! "Where- Where's this 'Jim' going to sleep?" he whispered.
"He said he'd sleep in the barn. He understands how you feel."

   So... there's my review. Was it interesting? Where else do you think I should touch on in my Reviews?
~ Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. Do more book reviews, please! I'll have to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay!! I'm glad you enjoy them! I plan on doing on every other week... we'll see how that works out.
      Yes! Do! I like it a lot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co