Skip to main content

Pollyanna 1960 versus Pollyanna 2003


Hi, Blog Fans! The other day we watched the newer version on Pollyanna. I grew up watching the amazingly sweet Disney version of the movie, but I remember that I had seen a new one. We watched it just to see what it was like. Now I want to share what I think of the two movies.

Pollyanna 1960 Pros and cons:

  1. Pro/con. Pollyanna the 1960's movie is made by Disney, which is a pro or con depending on how you look at it, reason being that Disney, especially Walt Disney, movies have great actors and you can always expect good quality, but I can't say I like Disney, as in the producers or what the portray in their films, very much since Walt died. There is a lot of Walt Disney/Disney movies I like though. Maybe I'll do a post on my favorites some day.
  2. Pro. The actors, especially Hayley Mills, are great!
  3. Pro. Pollyanna is such a happy or should I say,"glad," movie! Pollyanna is such a fun girl to watch, with a big smile, a two big bright eyes! 
  4. Con. They make the preacher out to be bad in his first sermons, Pollyanna lies (sort of), and disobeys Aunt Polly when she goes to the carnival. She is also a little sneaky. There are several other things they have in it that I don't agree with.
  5. Pro. The movie is bright with color and full of fun!
  6. Con. It doesn't follow the book very well.
  7. Pro. The movie is clean. A bit of kissing but that's it.


Image result for pollyanna
Random quote: Pollyanna from a cross the large table: "Aunt Polly, do you ever have steak and ice cream?"
Aunt Polly: "Are you complaining about the food?"
Pollyanna:"No, it's delicious! I just wondered. My father used to say, that if we had the money you have we'd have steak and ice cream three times a day, everyday!" 

Pollyanna 2003 Pros and cons:


  1. Pro. The story is simple and sweet
  2. Pro. the movie follows the book fairly well
  3. Con. They don't have Jimmy Bean in this movie nearly enough!
  4. Pro. The movie shows how she is hurting from her fathers death, but continues to try to find something to be glad about in everything. I think it shows a real truth about what love is all about.
  5. Pro. The actors a good at the parts they play
  6. Con. I think they make Aunt Polly out to be too much of a spinster in the beginning of the movie, but it turns out fine.
  7. Pro. It's clean. One kiss and one spot where a man is shown with his shirt off.

Image result for pollyanna 2003
Random quote: [Pollyanna is reading Pride and Prejudice aloud and misinterpreting the emotions of the characters] Aunt Polly: "You may stop now, Pollyanna. I never thought reading could be so exhausting."

My thoughts on the two movies:
I grew up watching the 1960's version of Pollyanna, which does have a special spot in my heart because of it. When we decided to watch the 2003 version I thought I wouldn't like it at all. Turned out I liked it a lot. I'll say this right now, I like both the movies, but I like the newer version better. It depends on what mood I'm in I guess. The 1960's movie is a lot more lighthearted and full of things to make you laugh. I'd recommend it for anyone, but as for younger children it is probably better for them to watch the Disney one.
The newer one, 2003, I think, is a lot more interesting. It's not as long, as in depth in some things, or as colorful as the Disney one, but I think it teaches better morals. I also think the 2003 version gives a better portrayal of Pollyanna's heart. She actually acts like she misses her parents, and I think it shows what true love really is. Sacrifice.
I think the 2003 movie is a bit more dramatic than Disney's, but both are sad in some ways. I don't want to give too much away about the stories but I will say there is a secret which you find out about Aunt Polly!
Oh, and I think that the Jimmy Bean and Pollyanna in 2003's Pollyanna are cute, but like I said before, they don't have Jimmy in the movie nearly enough! Jimmy is cute in the other movie of course, but he and Pollyanna aren't as cute together. Just watch it and you'll understand what I mean! *laugh*
 Both movies are good! So, watch both and decide which one you like best for yourself. I can't say which one you should watch first if you've never watched either of them. It doesn't really matter, but perhaps you should watch 2003's version first... *shrug*
I haven't read the books in a long time, so if I was wrong about the newer one being more accurate to the book let me know. I'm just going off what I remember of the book. I plan on reading it again soon.
 So, that's it! I know this post could be better and more informative but I want to let you choose for yourselves which one you like best. And if you watch them let me know what you think!
A few random pictures from both movies:
(2003)
Image result for pollyanna 2003

Image result for pollyanna 2003

Image result for pollyanna 2003
(1960)


Image result for pollyanna
Image result for pollyanna
Image result for pollyanna

God bless!
 ~Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. I think I've seen the 2003 version before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post idea!
    I think I would still, personally, like Disney's better but that's just me. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yeah, I know. I said I like the new one better, and I do in a way, but you can never replace Disney's movie. It good.

      Delete
  3. I've watched both of these movies! I both agree and disagree with what you said. Me and Emily were both surprised and delighted to discover that the new Pollyanna was actually very good.
    It is true that Disney's didn't follow the book very well, but since I have known that as the story as long as I can remember it is hard for me to think of the newer one as more accurate to the real story.
    In the Disney one Pollyanna is portrayed as a glad girl, though who does get into some mischievous. The film in general as you said is more happy and fun. Though there is things I don't agree with in it. Such as the how they portray the Church and how they never talk about Jesus.
    But the 2003 version didn't have church in it at all. And The 2003 version didn't have enough of Jimmy Bean! Made Mr. Pendleton seem creepy and some sort of Hindu or something. They made Mrs. Snow creepy and a gambler who didn't seem to need any cheering up. *laughs* That was my impression. Though there is good points to the new one. They have Pollyanna just seem more sweet and cheerful.
    All in all I still think of Halley Mills as Pollyanna, but found the new Pollyanna very good for a new movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what your saying and I agree and disagree. *laugh*
      They do have church in the 2003 version, just not vary much because they don't have as many story lines. I think Mr. Pendleton seemed scarier in Disney's.
      I do agree about Mrs. Snow.
      I know, you can't replace Disney's. It's good, but I think it would be good to watch both after reading the book because them you can get the story from many angles. you know whst I mean?

      Delete
  4. I grew up watching the 1960s version and I really like it. There are a few parts like you said that you really don't agree with. I have seen the 2003 one but it was so long ago that I don't remember it. I should probably watch it again.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I'm glad you see what I see!
      You should! I like them both!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co