Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers // Chapter 8



Time for an other Chapter!
Chapter 8
With the Baker boys, Tex, Tom, Chuck, and Ben went through the dark to the surprisingly large bunk house. "You sleep out here too?" Chuck asked.
"Yep." Flint was the oldest Baker whom looked very much like his father.
"When we were younger we slept on up at the house but as we grew older we moved in here." York opened the door and lead the way inside.
Two cow hands looked up from a checkers board made with a log with squares drawn on top. Another one looked up from a bunk were he had been watching the game.
The large group entered to bunk house. York grinned as he introduced the Bucks and Ben to the cowhands, "We're going to have quite a party to night." He said.
"Sounds like you already had one, senior York," The Mexican on the bunk sat up. "I wish me could of seen that race."
"Paul scared us half to death," Robert said throwing himself on to one of the bunks.
Mark, the youngest of the Baker boys, sat down on a chair by the fire place and started to pull off his boots. "She nearly lost,"
"No, she didn't." Flint stretched out on a bunk. "She just made it out that way."
"Why would she do that?" one of the cowhands ask.
Flint shrugged but Adam, another of the Baker boy, replied, "Maybe she didn't want to hurt Dick's pried."
"Probably. That's something Paul would do." Mark said.
Tex hauled himself on to the upper bunk after arranging his blankets. "Well, if you don't mind, I'd like some sleep. We've ridden hard and then worked hard on that there barn."
>>>><<<<
Even after all that hard work, Tex woke up early the next morning to the snores of the other men. He heard movement down below. He wasn't the only one awake. He dropped to the ground and strapped on his gun belt. It was all ways the first thing he did in the morning in the army and it had become habit. Flint was stirring the coals in the fireplace into flames.  Hearing noise behind him, Flint turned.
"I guess, I'm not the only early bird." He commented.
"I'm always up the earliest out of my brothers." Tex grabbed his boots and stomped into them.
Flint turned back to the fire and shoved a coffee pot into the now crackling flames. "Me too."
Flint sat down and stretched his feet tours the flames. Tex sat down near by.  "Who cooks?"
"Paul."
"For this many people?"
"This? This is nothing to her. We normally have this many or more. Morgan use to help Paul cook, but he left when that fellow struck it rich. Got a clam of his own. So did many others of our cow hands. Someone was smart and instead of digging for gold, is start'n a store in town. And someone else is start'n another saloon. Not that we need another one. "
"Heard about that fellow. He really found that much gold?"
"Yep. So much, in fact, that he don't dare put it all in one place. Funny thing though. That fellow bought the ranch from Jim Locks and Jim knew every inch of it. That fellow struck gold the very week he bought the place. Something else seems funny. I didn't think Jim wanted to sell. It's a good spread, but that fellow said that Jim sold in an instant and simply left. Without even say'n one thing to us, too. It don't sit right. Know what I mean?"
Tex ponder that a moment before replying. "I agree. Does seem a little strange. Less he was running from the law."
"Not Jim." Flint tipped his chair back to look out the window. "Lights on up at the house. Paul's up."
With a sudden impulse Tex asked, "How is it that none of you are married?"
Now what made me go and ask a thing like that!
Flint looked at him and shrugged. "Probably same reason you and your brothers ain't. There isn't any Christian girls around. 'Cept Mary, and she just a little thing. As for Pauline, Dick hangs around and she polite enough to him but he's told her right out his thinks religion is hogwash. So, I guess she has the same problem. No Christian men around." He cast a sideways glance at Tex. "Or there wasn't."
Tex ignored the comment. "Yep, I guess, that's the problem, all right."
Flint stood up and took a cup off the hooks above the fire place and poured him self coffee out of the pot. "Help yourself." He indicated the coffee pot as he sat down again.
"What about Ben? Does he believe?" Flint nodded his head to where Ben slept.
Tex's eyes trailed to Ben's bunk. "Don't think so. He never said he was against it though and he's never says much when me and my brothers are talk'n. He did seam interested last time. Even asked a question or two."
Flint nodded. "Well, it's about time to raise the troops," Just before taking another drink of coffee, he yelled, "Time's a wast'n! Coffee's done and chows on up at the house!"
Tex heard a rustle of blanket and looked over his shoulder. All four of the Baker boys were up and getting dressed. Tex looked back at Flint. Flint grinned and shrugged.
>>>><<<<
Tex and his brothers helped with the chores and then they all headed up to the house. They entered a large sitting room with two doors to the right and three doorways to the left. One from which the sound of dishes clanging came. They hung their hat on hooks that lined the wall. Then Adam lead the way into the dinning room.
They sat at a long table. There was one window that faced out to the front of the house. A second door, to the one had entered through, lead in from the kitchen and through this Pauline enter.
She was dressed in a long skirt and blouse. Around her whist was belt made of leather. Tex's eyes widened in surprise. She wore a gun belt and pistol. It was made smaller then most belts and the gun's handle had dainty flower designs engraved in it.
Pauline's father chuckled at the brothers' surprised expressions. "Paul often rides alone or is left here at the ranch. I don't like the idea of her being unarmed." He explained. "A six shooter is easier to keep by you then a rifle. She's good with it too."
"Makes good seance to me." Chuck replied.
Tex smiled at Paul. "Good morn'n, Miss Baker."
Pauline smiled shyly. "Good morning, Ben. Morn'n, um...Bucks." She laugh. "What shall I call all of you? I can't go around saying Mr. Buck to everyone of you."
Tom leaned back in his chair. "That's a good point. Call me Tom."
"And call me Chuck."
"I'm Tex."
"You can call me Pauline or Paul. I much prefer them to Miss Baker." Pauline set down a plate of fried beef on the table.
"All right then, Good Morning to you, Pauline." Tex leaned over the dishes of food and inhaled deeply. "Mmm. Food smells right good!"
Pauline smiled at him. "Thank you." She went back to the kitchen and brought back several plates of food and a pot of coffee. Then she seated herself next to her father. After Francis said the blessing they dug in. The food was excellent.
When the coffee pot was empty, Paul headed to the kitchen to refill it. She stopped at the window. "Pa, someone's coming."
"Oh?" Francis rose and went to the window. "It's Hank, and Kid."
Tom gagged on a mouth full of coffee.
Tex became rigged with alarm. "Who did you say?"
Francis looked at him confusion in his face. "Hank Moor and Kid. They're hands from a different spread."
Tex push back his chair quickly and strode to the window. Tom had stood up and so had Ben. Tex glanced back at Tom and nodded. "Best stay in side." Tex advised the confused Baker family.
He strode out of the room. Tom, Chuck, and Ben were close behind.               
"Stay inside? Why?" Flint asked.
The brother didn't answer. They silently left the room. Tex took the throng off his six shouter. Without looking, Tex knew Tom and Chuck done the same. Saying a silent prayer for wisdom and protection, Tex stepped out the door.
End of chapter.
What do you think is next?
~Kylie Nancy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co