Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers//Chapter 7


Hey, everyone! Time for another chapter. This is one of my favorite ones! But they all are from here on...

Chapter 7

"Seems to be a race." Tex observed the two  riders that suddenly burst from the crowd.
Ben grinned. "I bet this is the Baker's place. Their barn burned a few months ago. They're probably have'n a barn raising.  One of those riders is probably one of the Baker kids. Or both of them."
"Looks exciting. Let go watch." Chuck suggested.
Tom nodded. "We could pitch in on the barn raising. Might get some information."
Tex didn't agree right away. He watched the race, the people, and glance around. Considering the possibility that someone down there might be someone who took his bother. It was a good place to dig up some  information, but did they dare let themselves be observed? "Okay. We'll watch." Tex reached down and removed the thong that held his pistol in place. His brother observed the act of caution and did like wise.
They rode up behind the shouting crowd unnoticed. A group of red heads stood silently near the front of the crowd grinning.
"Them's must be the Bakers," Ben said. "They are all red heads, I hear."
Tom slid out of his saddle. "This looks more fun then the box social we had in May."
They walk around the crowd to the side where they could see the race. The riders had turned around and were on their way back.
"Come on Paul! Beat him! Beat him!" A little girl shouted, jumping up and down. Her yellow bonnet, hung loosely down her back, bounced.
The young boy next to her frowned. "Don't cheer for Paul. Cheer for Dick." He nudged her with an elbow.
"Why? I want Paul to win." The girl turned back to the race.
Tex chuckled. Even the children had chosen sides.
The racers were getting closer now. Tex could see which horse was in the lead.
The young boy started jumping up and down yelling at the top of his lungs. "Dick's in the lead! Dick's in the lead."
"What's wrong with Paul?" Tex turned when one of the Bakers spoke.
Another one cupped his hands around his moth and yelled, "Come on Paul! Beat him or you'll put our whole family to shame."
Now all the Bakers were shouting. The noises grow louder as the riders got closer. The riders leaned far over their horse necks, urging them to go faster.
Then Tex realized with a start that Paul was a girl. He could see her long red braid flying out behind her. She rode astride. Her skirts billowed out behind her.
Tom lean closer and whispered, "Someone needs to learn how to name their kid."
"Looks to me like the Bakers aren't as good as their made out to be." Ben commented.
Chuck had his hat tipped over his eyes, watching the racers. "I don't know about that."
It was true, the girl seemed to be gaining on Dick. The horses were close enough now that they could see the riders well. The girl looked to be about eighteen and the boy about the same. The crowd broke down the middle and made a path right to the finish line.
The horse were now neck to neck, running full speed. Or so it seemed until the girl spoke to her horse. With a sudden burst of speed the brown horse bolted forwarded and streaked past their opponent. Tex grinned. She had just been playing with them.
Paul past the finish line and made a full circle around the half finished barn. She rode back smiling. Dick met her. He dropped to the ground and grinned. "You beat me fair and square."
"Square? But we rode in a strait line." She gave a mock look of confusion.
 Dick laughed. "So we did. All right. You beat me fair and strait."
Everyone laughed and moved in to congratulate Paul.
A man with a handlebar mustache and red hair spoke sternly to her. "Don't scare your Pa like that, Pauline. I plum near had me a heart attack. I thought you were going loose." His voice was gruff but his eyes twinkled and a smile play at the corner of his mouth.
Paul smiled. "Sorry, Pa." She wrapped her hair in a not on the back of her head and pinned it securely.
Tex and his group still hadn't been noticed. Tex looked around for the best way to make known their presents. A group of young men stood around Dick talking. Tex headed that way.
When he got closer, he heard one of the younger men comment. "How could you let a girl beat you?"
Dick just grinned. "I don't know. But it sure was the best race I've had in my life."
Some of the men laughed but one said, "You just lost to a girl and just laugh about it? It's a shame to your manhood! You lost to a girl!" He emphasized the word girl.
"I don't agree." Tex stopped just outside the group.
The group turned to look at the band of trail weary travelers. "I don't agree with ya. Not at tall." Tex continued. "Losing and still being in good humor, proves more then winning, your a man."
Tex's brothers nodded.
"Who the dickens are you?" One of the men asked.
"I'm Texas Buck. These are my brothers Thomas, Charles, and our friend Ben Ryan."
Dick's eyes widened. "Major Texas Buck?"
Tex nodded.
How is it that everyone under the sun knows me all the sudden? Tex thought agitated.
Dick grinned and shook Tex's hand. "Man, my dad served under you in the war. Never figured you were so young. My Dad talked about you all the time. Said you were the craziest man he ever saw."
Well, that's right nice.
Dick's eye's twinkled mischievously. "He said he seen bullets pass right by your head and you didn't even blink! You would charge right in to battle as if there was no such thing a death. I ain't ever quite believed him though."
Ben chuckled. "I served under him as well. He was somth'n! Your Dad didn't exaggerate!"
Tex shrugged. "There's more to being in charge, then bossing people around."
Tex turned to see a group of people had gathered around. One of the men stepped forward. "Major, I'm William Parr. Will you be joining us for the barn raising?" The man held out his hand.
Tex shook it and grinned. "Well, if the rest of this party is as exciting as that there horse race, I'll gladly join ya!"
There was some laughter and William smiled. "Well, I can't promise you that. But we have refreshment to be served after we get this barn frame up and tonight there's to be a camp fire and singing."
"I'll go for that," Chuck said before Tex could speak. "Let's get started!" He started for the barn.
>>>><<<<
Tex worked silently. His mind was working over their problems. Pray that some how, some way, God would protect Luke.
Please, Lord, keep him strong. Help us find him.
The girl who had been cheering for Paul walked slowly up, keeping her eyes on the cup of water she held with both hands.
"Hi." She smiled shyly at him and held the cup up. "Mama said to give you this."
"Thank you. You must thank your Mother for me." Tex took the cup. He drank it down and handed back the cup. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "What your name?" He asked her.
"Mary Parr. What's your name?"
"You can call me Tex. I like your name. Did you now Mary was the name of Jesus's mother?"
"Ah-huh. Do you believe in God?" Mary asked with big eyes.
"I sure do. How 'bout you?"
"Yep." Mary nodded her head vigorously, her pony tails bounced up and down. "But we don't have a church here. It's not because we don't want one. We just don't have one and we don't have a pastor ether. We read the Bible every morning and every night though. The Bakers, this is their ranch, are Christens too and sometimes we have Bible study with them."
"That's good." Tex grinned as she tried to catch her breath. "Do you like Miss Baker? Paul? I seen you cheering for her during the race."
"Yep! She's real nice. Her real name is Pauline. My Ma says she fills sorry for her. Imagine having a nickname like Paul! She says it's because Paul don't have a Mama to make sure her brothers don't give her a stupid nickname. Paul says she don't mind though."
Tex nodded. "I see. Well, I'll just call her Miss Baker. Unless, she tells me other wise." He winked.
She smiled and nodded. Someone called from the crude tables, made of barrels and boards, that now lined the yard.
"I guess, I got to go. Nice meet'n you, sir." Mary skipped away her bonnet and ponytails bouncing.
Tex chuckled. The innocence of a child. Life is so simple and full of joy to them.
"Cute, ain't she?"
Tex turned. William Parr stood grinning at him. "Sure is." Tex answered.
"Me and Grace wouldn't know what to do with out her. She's only seven but does twice her weight in work," William motioned to the tables. "Come. The meals being served."
>>>><<<<
Tex stared into the flames of the fire. He turned a cup of coffee slowly in his hands. He looked up when he realized someone was talking to him. "Sorry, I wasn't listening."
Tom sat down by him. "Thinking about Luke?" He guessed.
"Yeah." Tex looked down at his cup. "I was just thinking on someth'n I heard in town not to long ago. Didn't think of it until a minute ago."
"Oh?"
"Some where down this way, someone found gold. But the story could also be hogwash. Just wondering if it has anything to do with Hank and them coming here."
"It could." Tom pondered the information a minute. "I just could at that." Tom agreed.
Tex swirled the black liquid in the bottom of his cup. "I don'r remember where though. It seems like it was farther south. Don't rightly know."
Francis Baker, Pauline's father, came up to them.
"Tom. Major." Francis greeted them.
"I prefer Tex."
"Tex, I just wondered if you have any were in particular your stay'n tonight?" Francis asked.
"Unless you count some were under the stars particular, No." Tex answered.
"We have a few open bunks in the bunk house. You can stay there if you like." Francis offered.
"Mighty kind of you." Tex replied. "We might just do that. Thanks."
Francis nodded. "Well," he looked up at the setting sun. "I think, I'll go get my guitar and strike up a couple tunes."
Tex knew the minute Tom grinned what he was going to say. "Why, not let Tex play? He always does at home. He sing too."
"Do you now? That's great! Will you play? I can play but sure ain't nothin' fancy."
"Well, if I do that, Tom'll have to do a little fiddling. If there's a fiddle around." Tex answered.
"My son has one and Mic'Loun normally brings his banjo," Francis said.
"Chuck can play the banjo and if my brothers agree, I think, we could play some tunes. We get a bit of practice together so we don't sound to bad." Tom volunteered.
Tex grinned. "I guess I'm in. I'll ask Chuck."
Soon, everyone was crowded around the fire, as Tex started strumming a few notes. He started playing an old cow poke song and Chuck joined in with the banjo. On the next verse, Tom joined in with the fiddle. Soon everyone was clapping and singing along. They sang song after song, late into the night. Then Tex sung, "Camping Tonight" in his deep voice as the people drifted homeward.
When Tex handed Francis back the guitar, Francis said, "I don't think I've heard that guitar play that good before. That fiddle or banjo ether."
Tex smiled. "My pa was a wizard with the fiddle. Not only could he play almost any song, he could copy the sounds of birds and other animals. I guess Pa past his talent on to us brothers."
"I'd of liked to see that. I've heard of it being done but never believed someone could make animal sounds on that thing, " One of Francis's five sons said. Tex could only get some of their names strait, but this one was York because York owned the fiddle.
Tex took the fiddle from Tom. "I might not be as good as my Dad but I can do something."
He brought the fiddle to his chin. Then, he sat listening to the night.
"What he doing?" Another one of Francis's red headed boys, Robert, asked.
Chuck answered. "Listening. Just watch."
  At that moment Tex touched the bow to the strings and answered a lonely bird call. The bird answered and Tex answered again.
"It's beautiful." Pauline sighed.
After the race, Pauline had changed into a blue dress, which made her hair look even redder. Her eyes even bluer.
Tex put down the fiddle. "You should of heard our Pa. He could do a horse whinny to a bear's growl, so real, it would make you hair stand on end." Tex answered.
Everyone laughed. "Well, this has been one full day. Shouldn't we get to bed?" Pauline asked.
"I guess, your right," Francis stood up and stretched. "Let's hit the sack."
Tex stood to his feet. "Thank you again for the beds, Mr.Baker." He turned to Pauline. "and your hospitality, Miss Baker."
Tex felt a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach when Pauline smiled and said, "Your welcome."
He swallowed hard and his mouth went dry.
Get a hold of yourself! What's wrong with you, Texas. Your acting like fool.
 The end of chapter 7.
 Well, what do you thinks next?
 ~Kyile Nancy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co