Skip to main content

Chapter of "Life's Storms" and Book covers

Well, hello everyone! Today I want to share the full first chapter of Life's Storms and show you some of the book covers I've been playing around with.
  Chapter first...keep in mind that this is unedited for now. I've put parts of the first chapter on before so you may know parts of this already.

Chapter One

"Emma!" Emma Nolan was welcomed home by her younger sister, who jumped on her the minute she went through the door.
Emma laughed. "What's the special occasion?" she asked as she hung up her wet cloak.
Betty bounced up and down. "We got a letter from Lars! Father won't read it until we're all here! Hurry, Emma!"
"Let me go freshen up and I'll be right there," Emma tossed over her shoulder as she rushed to her room. 
Emma quickly rinsed her hands and face and changed out of her Nurse dress and apron. She ran a brush through her chestnut colored hair a couple times before tying it up behind her neck with a ribbon that matched her light blue calico dress. Then, Emma rushed to the sitting room.
Emma slid into a chair. "Sorry, I got home so late." 
"You better be." Jeff crossed his arms. "What were you trying to do? Make us die of suspense?"
Emma shook her head smiling at her tease of a brother. He would soon be seventeen and was still "goof ball Jeff" but everyone loved him. He teasing smile and easy manner made him the kind of person people like to be around.
"Don't worry about it, Dear." Mother gave Emma a warm smile. "I'm sure you've had a long day at work."
Emma nodded. "Did I ever! That poor Else Tave is still running a high fever and Mrs. Tave is nigh out of her head with worry! Doctor Edmend had a time of it, calming her down."
Mother gave a slight smile in understanding and Father said, "We should try to remember them in our prayers."
Mother put her hand on his. "Good idea." Love shone in her eyes as she looked into her husbands face.
Emma eyes twinkled at her parents. 
Their so sweet! I want my relationship to be like that when I'm married.
Mother turned her attention back to Emma. "You must be staved. We saved you some supper. I've kept it warm." Mother rested a hand on her pregnant belly.
"Oh, can't we read Lars' letter first?" Betty moaned.
"Go ahead, Father," Emma urged.
"All right." Father opened the letter. "Dear Family," he read. "I'm doing great! How are all you back at home? It's warm and sunny here."
"Lucky him." Emma sighed. "I wish I was there. It still to cold here."
"My ranch is doing good," Father continued to read, "I got a good price for my last herd. I've hired two more cow hands. I need more men to take care of my ranch now that I've got my herds started. Some of the cowhands are ruff charters but they do their job. My biggest news is that I'm engaged to Mary Morris."
The room erupted with squeals and shouts. 
Father grinned. "All of you are invited to the wedding, of course. It will be May 2nd. If Jeff is willing, I'd like him to be best man. I can't wait for you to meet Mary. She's a beautiful girl and I know you will love her! Sorry this is so short. Your son and brother, Lars." Father looked up as he finished the letter.
"Well, being best man gives me an excuse to go to Colorado, I guess," Jeff locked his fingers behind his head. "Maybe if I like it, I'll move out there."
Emma was thrilled about Lars getting married, but was worried. "May 2nd, but that's to close to when Mother's due!"
Mother sighed sadly. "We know. He wrote us about it. He wanted to make it work but Mary's family is moving in the beginning of June. So, they have to have the wedding before then.They thought of doing it early but I don't think traveling for days on end would be good for me now or until after the baby comes." She took a deep breath as if even the thought tiered her.
Father nodded his agreement. "We've talked it over and decided that Jeff came go. Emma can go with him if she can get off work."
Emma felt excitement run through her but then fade. "But I'm supposed to be here for the birth." 
Mother smiled. "I'll be all right. I want some of us to go. And I've had babies with out you here."
"Can't I go, Father? I want to go," Betty begged.
Father shook his head. "Sorry, Betty girl. You're to young. Your Mother and I want you safe with us."
Betty stuck out her lower lip. "But I want to go. I want to see Lars and Mary."
Mother hugged her. "So do we, dear. But we can't."
Father put his hand on Mother's back. "You don't want your Mother have the baby on a train do you?"
Betty shook her head. "but I could go with Emma and Jeff."
Mother gave Betty a squeeze. "We don't want you to get hurt or lost and your Father and I not to be there. Besides, What would I do if all my children left? I'd have no one to help me."
Betty brightened and straightened. "Oh. Okay. I'll stay." 
"Good girl."  Jeff gave Betty a wink. 
Emma gave her an encouraging smile. "You're going to have to take my place and take care of Mother.That's a big responsibility. Think you can do it?"
Betty thought carefully. "I'll try... If, I can sleep in your room."
The family erupted in laughter.
>>>><<<<
The train sounded it's whistle as it started down the track. Emma and Jeff waved at the three figures standing on the platform until they were out of sight. Then they settle down into the plush benches. Emma leaned her chin on her hand as she watched the trees fly by. 
"I can't believe this is really happening," she said after a while.
"M hm." Was Jeff's answer from where he sat with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes closed.
"Dr. Edmund was so generous to give me three weeks off." Emma gazed out the window.
"M hm," Jeff answered again. Then after a moment he said, "Good thing Father said I could have all the time off I need. I deserve time off after how hard I've been working the last few months."
Emma looked at him reproachfully. "Deserved it? I don't think you don't deserve anything, Jeffrey Nolan! You should be thankful, instead of being so...so critical! And quit talking about deserving things. Nobody deserves anything!"
Jeff popped open an eye and grinned at her. Emma shook her head. "Brothers," she huffed and turned back to the window. 
He was just teasing me!
They remained on the train for three days. Only stopping for the train to get water or at meal times. Sometimes the train would stop and people would get off and others would get on. Emma watched as the land changed. The trees grew more scatter, and the towns smaller and further apart. 
On the third night, they stopped for the night and stayed at a small hotel. The next morning they boarded a different train, on a different track. That was when Emma was really glad that Jeff had come with her. She would have felt completely lost and scared if he hadn't.
When the train stopped that evening, Jeff got their luggage and they got off the train. Emma looked around her. She couldn't believe how flat and rugged the land had become! And the town consisted of barely six streets! 
Again, they stayed in a hotel. It was still dark when they woke early the next morning and got on the stage. They would see Lars late that afternoon! Emma grew more and more impatient as the ride went on. Her hands tingled with excitement.She hadn't seen Lars for over two years! 
The ride was bumpy and it was hard to stay on the hard bench of the stage. Emma held on to Jeff's arm to keep from sliding off. 
At one time they went over a large bump. Emma lost her grip on Jeff's arm and sailed into the man's lap in front of her. Emma was horribly embarrassed, but the man just chuckled and helped her back into her seat. When Emma apologized, he said with a grin, "It was a pleasure to break your fall, Ma'am." 
I'm glad people seem polite around here, Emma thought.
>>>><<<<
The stage pulled to a stop in a ball of dust. They were finally there! Jeff jumped down from the stage and gave Emma a hand down. A few cowboys came to help get the luggage off the top of the stage. Emma looked around for Lars. 
A cowboy stood up in a wagon that was pulled to the side of the road and waved. "Emma! Jeff! Hey! Over here!"
Emma stared. Was that Lars? He looked so different! He was dressed in a red button up shirt,pants, boots, a stetson and a black bandanna. Around his waist he wore a pistol. His skin had darkened and his hair had lightened. He seemed taller and his shoulders broader.
Lars hopped out of the wagon and came running toured them. Emma ran to meet him and he caught her in a bear hug. "Lars! I hardly recognized you," Emma laughed as they stepped apart.
"Nor I you." Lars grinned. "You're not a little girl any more."
Lars looked strong and happy. All the joy and happiness seemed to come up from his heart and shine from his eyes and in his smile. Emma had never seen Lars looking so happy. His whole face seemed to shine.
I'm glad he found the girl for him. Emma thought. I don't think any other think in the world could make him happier.
Lars and Jeff hugged and pounded each other on the back. 
"Man, I've missed you." Lars grinned from ear to ear. "You're looking good, Jeff. How's everyone else?"
"Doing good. They wish they could be here though." Jeff shook his head to one of the cowboys when he asked if they would want help with their trunks.
Jeff and Lars grabbed the trunks and bags and headed for the wagon. Lars hefted Emma's trunk into the wagon. "I can't wait to introduce you to Mary." 
"What if I don't like her?" Jeff raised an eyebrow.
"Jeffrey Nolan," Emma scolded him, even though she knew he was joking. It wasn't a vary nice thing to say.
Lars laughed it off. "I don't think there's much chance of that, but if you don't, I'll simply knock you to the ground."
"You've gotten a bit ruff, haven't you?" Emma said in mock disapproval.
Lars shrugged. "Not much."
They laughed and Lars helped Emma on to the wagon bench. As the wagon started out of town Emma sat happily between her brothers. She looked at them and felt a warm fuzzy feeling inside. 
Oh, I love these brother's of mine!
Lars pointed out different builds as the wagon moved down the dusty street. "That's our store, over there is the Bank and that... that's the saloon. We've a few of them here. More then I'd like. I wouldn't recommend go'n there."
"I wouldn't dream of it." Emma said.
The horses harness jiggled. Emma's eyes shifted around as she tried to take in the whole town in one glance. She shifted under the gaze of the people that turned and watched the wagon go by. Emma leaned toured Lars."What are they staring at?" 
Lars chuckled. "You and Jeff. Everyone knows everyone around here. New comers are often stared at when they arrive. Especially when one of them is a lady."
Emma reached up to make sure her bonnet was on strait and smoothed her skirts. Jeff teased her. "See any young men you might be interested in?"
"Jeff, don't tease me! I'm not husband hunting." Emma straightened her back. "If I'm to be married God will bring my husband to me. I wont go chasing men." She lifted her chin and gave Jeff an angry glare. It was things like that she hated to be teased about.
"Are you sure? That man looks right nice." Jeff indicated a old man with gray hair that stood on end and had tobacco juice running down his chin. "What about him?"
Anger rouse in Emma's chest. She slapped Jeff's knee. Hard. 
"Ouch!" 
"Stop it." Emma could feel her face flaming. "It's not funny."
"She's right, Jeff. It's not something you should joke about," Lars defended Emma. Emma sent him a grateful glance.
Jeff shrugged lamely. "Sorry."
"When will you ever stop being such a tease?" Emma sighed.
Jeff grinned and crossed his arms stubbornly. "Not until I'm old, gray, and have to use a cane." 
On the out skirts of town, Lars pointed. "There's the church. That's were the wedding will be."
 "It's darling! So little and cute." Emma leaned out to see the white church in the mist of the waving grasses.
"You'll met Mary tomorrow at church." Lars eyes shined brighter."She's a lot like you in many ways, Emma. You'll really like her."
 Emma gave him a fond smile. "I'm sure I will."
As the wagon bumped down the trail, Emma took a deep breath of the fresh, sweet smelling air, scented with wild flowers and the sweet smelling grasses. The view of the far mountains, framed by the blue sky, was breathtaking!    
"Now I know why you love it so much here." Emma sighed. "It so beautiful. I could stay here forever!" 
Jeff nodded. "I know just what you mean. I feel it too."
Lars smiled slightly. "It's home to me. I love this land." He slowly moved his left arm in a sweeping motion indicating everything around them.
>>>><<<<
Nels  Everett rested his forearm on the saddle horn and looked a cross the herd of cattle at the setting sun. His horse shifted it position and switched its tail.
Owen rode his horse up beside him. "Ain't ya going home yit?" 
Nels didn't shift his gaze from the herd.  "No."
"You're plum tuckered out. I can tell. Besides your sister will be wait'n," Owen argued.
"I've to much work to do." 
Nels thoughts went to all the work that needed done. They still had to brand all the calves in the west pature. The fence needed replaced on the carrel by the barn, which he couldn't afford to do. The barn roof need replaced as well. That seemed even more impossible to do! Lars Nolan had ridden over the day before to tell him one of his fences was busted and some of Nels cattle had drifted on to Lars' land, he needed to gather them. Those cattle only accounted for a little of his missing cattle. He wasn't the only one loosing cattle ether. There was something sly going on.
Owen's voice interrupted Nels thoughts, "Nels, listen to reason, will ya? The light is going. You can't see in the dark. The cows are settled down fur the night. I'm ready to ride the fence and keep an eye out. You're dead beat. You haven't even stopped for supper and, if I don't miss my guess, lunch ether," Owen stopped to let what he was saying stink in. "Need I continue?"
Nels chuckled. Ever seance Ma and Pa died, Owen had treated Nels as if he was his Father. Even though Nels was actually Owen's boss. Owen was the only cowhand Nels had left, and the only reason he was still there was because he wouldn't leave. Owen wasn't even paid any more. Nels couldn't afford to pay him. But Owen insisted that as long as he had food, clothes, and a horse to ride he would stay. 
Nels turned to look at Owen. The middle aged man sat in his saddle with ease. He was a shorter man but as strong as steel. He was God fearing and loyal. Very loyal. Nels took off his hat and whacked the dust off with his knee. "Who do you figure is do'n the rustling?"
Owen shrugged. "Hard to tell."
"I need that cattle," Nels jammed his hat back on. "Loosing them is extending my money to the limit," Nels stopped before saying quietly, "Unless things get better, I don't think I'll be able to send Rachel to blind school for two or three years. Maybe never."
Owen didn't answer and he wouldn't look at Nels. He fumbled with a button on his sleeve. Nels didn't normally open up this much. He was usually quiet and thoughtful. He nearly never spoke of his worries.
Nels turned back to the setting sun and they sat in silents a spell. Nels broke the silences. "Well, I guess I'll head back to the house."
"Nels?"
Nels turned to look at Owen. "Yea?"
"God's knows all that. He knows. You just got a'trust 'im." 
Nels nodded. "I know." He turned his horse and with a 'night' to Owen he rode home.
>>>><<<<
Nels stabled his horse in the dark barn and walked to the house. He ducked through the door and stopped. He quickly scanned the room.
Rachel was on her hands and knees aimlessly scrubbing the floor. Her skirts were wet to above her knees and her sleeves up to her elbows. The curtains were hung crookedly over the windows. One curtain was thrown over the back of a chair. Nels looked down at his feet. He was standing in a puddle of water. 
Nels shut the door behind him and hung his hat on the hook beside the door. "What in the world do you think you doing, Rachel?" Nels asked quietly.
Rachel jumped. "Nels? I'm-I'm cleaning." 
She stood up and turned towards the door. Her blue eyes starred off behind him. Her long golden hair hung loosely about her shoulders. It seemed to glow in the dime light from the fire. She was a real beauty. That's what everyone told Nels. "If only it weren't for her eyes. Such a pity," they would say.
"I wanted- I thought maybe-I mean, I-" Rachel stammered to a stop.
Nels glanced around the room. Rachel, if you only knew. Lord, she needs to go to that school, so she can live life again.
"Whatever made you think you could clean the house?" Nels asked with a little reproach.
Rachel twisted her wet apron in her hands. "I can clean the house. I can-" She straitened her shoulders and let go of her apron and clenched her fist by her sides. "You work so hard. I'm - I'm just a burden to you. I want to do my part. If I start doing more around the house, you can do more work outside. And you need to start eating better! You probably haven't had lunch or supper today! I can start making the food and," Rachel would have continued but Nels stopped her.
"Rachel, listen to me. You've got to-" 
Nels leaped for the stove as a pot of coffee suddenly boiled over. Without thinking he grabbed the hot handle, hot coffee boiled over the side running down over his hand, burning him. He jerked his hand away quickly. Nels clenched his jaw to keep for letting out a howl of pain. 
Snatching a wet cloth from the table he moved the coffee to the back of the stove. He tuned back to Rachel while rapping the same cloth around his hand. He didn't know how bad the burn was but he would take care of it later. 
Rachel had her head up listening. "What happened?" 
"Nothing." Nels answered through his clenched teeth.
He took Rachel by the elbow with his good hand and lead her to Mother's rocking chair next to the fire place. Without a word he helped Rachel sit down. Then he sat down in a chair opposite her.
His hand burned with pain as he gently pressed the cool cloth around it. He looked at Rachel, who sat nervously in her chair. Then he looked down at his boots. 
I don't know how to tell her, Lord. 
Taking a deep breath Nels began," Rachel, I know you want to help, but you really can't."
Rachel was wringing her hands. "Please, Nels! I can do it! I know I can! You can help me learn! I just can't stand sitting around any more."
"I don't think you understand. It's dangerous. You could get burnt, cut yourself, and you can't even tell what your doing."
Nels could tell that what he said hurt Rachel but he couldn't keep the truth from her. She had to find out. 
"And I really don't have time to help you. I'm really sorry. I know how difficult it is but we don't really have a choice." Nels stood up and faced the fire. "I couldn't tell you this before but, I wont be able to send you to that blind school for a couple years." 
There, I said it.
Rachel didn't answer. Nels cleared his throat. "I've been working as hard as I can for over a year and money is just getting tighter. I can't even keep up with all the repairs that need do'n.I don't know how Pa did it!" 
I sure could use his help right now.
Nels looked at Rachel. Tears were running down her cheeks. Nels felt awful. "I'm sorry, Rachel." 
Rachel nodded. "I'll be okay. I-I guess I'll have to stick with mending and knitting, the one thing I can do without looking." Rachel's voice cracked and she broke down sobbing.
Nels looked down at the floor. He wanted to ease her pain but he didn't know how. It wrenched at Nels heart to see Rachel with her hands over he face, tears dripping between her fingers. 
God, why is life so hard? Why? Nels asked in his heart.
If Pa were there he would know what to say. He was a quiet man but seemed to know always know what to say and when to say it. 
If only he were here. To show me. To guide me. 
The end of Chapter one.
So that's the first chapter, I hope to someday put the whole book on if I finish it, which I plan to do for sure.
So now for those book covers:




And the original. 

Well, bye for now! God bless you all!
~Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. sorry, but I just had to skim read this, but what I read I really enjoyed!! *high five*
    also, I think #3 is my favorite cover. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second cover :) Your blog is SO cute! It looks really old-fashioned, and I just love that:)
    ~Caitlyn
    flightofthequill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you! That's what I am! Am old-fashioned girl! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co