Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers/Chapter Two

Yee-haw! Everyone ready for the next chapter? Well, here it is!

Chapter 2

Tom and Chuck dismounted and studied the tracks. It appeared that Moor had fallen off his horse  but was alive and had made his way to shelter. They followed his trail to a pile of boulders and stopped.
"Moor? Moor, it's us. Tom and Chuck. " Tom spoke low so his voice wouldn't travel.
No answer.
"Tim Moor? You in there?" Tom asked, this time louder.
Still no answer.
Tom glanced at Chuck. "Lets go."
Leading their horses they made their way around to the side of the boulders. Going behind the large rocks they found Moor laying flat on his stomach, an arm stretched out before him.
Chuck felt for a pulse. "He's alive. Let's get him home. We'll need to fix him up first. Get a canteen. Let's see what we can do. I hope he can make it. "
Tom glanced around before stepping out of cover. He snatched his canteen, and saddle bags and quickly ran back. Chuck had cut Moor's shirt open. The wound was in Moor's side, just below his ribs.
"Here." Tom tossed the canteen and saddle bag to Chuck. "I'll keep watch. Do the best you can, but hurry." Tom held his rifle tightly in his hands and crouched down to face down the canyon.
Chuck turned Moor on his side. "Bullet went clean through." Chuck got to work cleaning the wound.
Chuck and Tom watched from behind the rocks to make sure no one was around. They saw nothing, so carefully they lifted Moor and started out from behind the rocks.They stopped short when the horses spooked. Tom stood still and listened. He scanned the tops of the cliffs.
A person could be watching our every move and we'd never have a clue.
The horses calmed and all was quiet. Tom looked back at Chuck and shrugged. He took another step and looked around again.
"Look out!" Chuck yelled.
Tom jumped back and tumbled on top his companions as two shots sounded. Rolling quickly up. Tom grabbed Moor's legs and hauled him back behind the boulders. Chuck grabbed his rifle that was leaning on the rocks. They crouched down and waited.
Tom clenched his jaw and leaned against the rocks.
Bad spot to get pinned down.
                                                              >>>><<<<
Tex sat by Doc and Luke. Luke groaned and tossed in his sweat soaked bed. Tex didn't like it. He felt helpless. He took a gulp from his cup of coffee and tried to focus on what Doc was saying.
Finally, frustrated, Tex stood up. "Sorry, Doc. I got work to do." He glanced back at Luke. "I'll be back in a little while. I'm going to check the cattle."
Tex was about to open the door when he heard the shots.
Doc's head jerked up. "That was in Iron Canyon."
Tex's heart jumped to his throat. Chuck and Tom! I've got go see if they need help.
He glanced at Doc. "Will you stay here? I've got to help my brothers."
"I'll go with you." Doc stood up.
"No. You got'a stay here with Luke. Besides, the town wouldn't know what to do without you."
Doc  nodded and sat back down. "Just like your Pa, you is," he said, "Straight to the point and quick to make up your mind."
Tex shrugged and picked up his hat. "I just pray I'm there in time. I just know something is wrong. I can feel it." He nodded to the Doc and quickly walked out to the barn.
                                                             >>>><<<<
 After the echos of the shots died down, throughout the canyon all was quiet.
The hot sun beat against Tom and Chuck's faces and glared off the rocks. Bugs buzzed and a bird called. The boys had little shade. The little there was, was barely enough room for the now conscious Moor to lay down in.
Tom crouched next to Chuck. "We'll just have to wait. I'd bet the ranch that Tex heard those shots. He'll come. I know. I just hope he comes soon."
                                                             >>>><<<<   
Tex crawled carefully to the edge of the cliff and looked down the canyon. He saw the horses but he didn't see anyone around. Then, his eyes jumped to the boulders not to far away.
That's where they'll be. The someone that shot at them will be a top the canyon.
Tex scrambled to his feet and started to make his way along the top.
                                                             >>>><<<<
Tex stood still and listened. The faint sound of voices drifted over the wind. Cautiously he made his way closer.  Tex and his brothers knew this canyon well and Tex could tell the voices came from a good observation point. It wasn't directly across from the boulders, but that spot could see most of the canyon, without exposing whomever was there.
Tex remembered the area around the site. There was only one spot he could sneak up on them with out being seen first and they would probably have someone on watch. He would have to try anyway.
As Tex had thought, there was a man on watch. He was a short man but even though he was short, Tex could tell he was tough. His guns were far down his legs, real easy.
This man  is a fighter.
The man leaned against a tree facing the trail. A lit cigarette hung out the corner of his mouth. Smoke curled up lazily as if regretting having to go out into the wind.
Tex sat still in a crouched position and watched. It was a good thing he had come up to the far right or he would have been seen.
Now I've got to get rid of him so I can get to the camp.


And there you have it! Another chapter to the Buck's adventure!
~Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting! Tex is one of those no-nonsense, straight to the point, and get it done kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting!!!! can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can picture the scenes that you set, and feel the danger in the sickroom, behind the boulders, and on the cliff top. Scary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co