Skip to main content

My book/ Meet Nels Everett

   

   Hey there, my blogger friends! I shared the first part of my book in a post not to long ago, (click here to read it.) In that post you meet Emma Nolan.  Emma is the main character but in this book I have a second main character. I'd like you to meet Nels Everett, the second character in my book.
                                                          >>>><<<<
Nels  Everett rested his forearm on the saddle horn and looked a cross the herd of cattle at the setting sun. His horse shifted it position and switched its tail.
 Owen rode his horse up beside him. "Ain't ya going home yit?"
   Nels didn't shift his gaze from the herd.  "No."
   "You're plum tuckered out. I can tell. Besides your sister will be wait'n," Owen argued.
   "I've too much work to do."
  Nels thoughts went to all the work that needed to be done. They still had to brand all the calves in the west pasture. The fence needed to be replaced on the corral by the barn, which he couldn't afford to do. The barn roof needed to be replaced as well. That seemed even more impossible to do! Lars Nolan had ridden over the day before to tell him one of his fences was busted and some of Nels cattle had drifted on to Lars' land, he needed to gather them. Those cattle only accounted for a little of his missing cattle. He wasn't the only one loosing cattle either. There was something sly going on.
  Owen's voice interrupted Nels thoughts, "Nels, listen to reason, will ya? The light is going. You can't see in the dark. The cows are settled down fer the night. I'm ready to ride the fence and keep an eye out. You're dead beat. You haven't even stopped for supper and, if I don't miss my guess, lunch either," Owen stopped to let what he was saying sink in. "Need I continue?"
   Nels chuckled. Ever since Ma and Pa died, Owen had treated Nels as if he was his Father. Even though Nels was actually Owen's boss. Owen was the only cowhand Nels had left, and the only reason he was still there was because he wouldn't leave. Owen wasn't even paid any more! Nels couldn't afford to pay him. But Owen insisted that as long as he had food, clothes, and a horse to ride he would stay.
   Nels turned to look at Owen. The middle aged man sat in his saddle with ease. He was a shorter man but as strong as steel. He was God fearing and loyal. Very loyal. Nels took off his hat and whacked the dust off with his knee. "Who do you figure is do'n the rustling?"
   Owen shrugged. "Hard to tell."
  "I need that cattle," Nels jammed his hat back on. "Loosing them is extending my money to the limit," Nels stopped before saying quietly, "Unless things get better, I don't think I'll be able to send Rachel to blind school for two or three years. Maybe never."
   Owen didn't answer and he wouldn't look at Nels. He fumbled with a button on his sleeve. Nels didn't normally open up this much. He was usually quiet and thoughtful. He nearly never spoke of his worries.
  Nels turned back to the setting sun and they sat in silence a spell. Nels broke the silence. "Well, I guess I'll head back to the house."
   "Nels?"
 Nels turned to look at Owen. "Yea?"
   "God's knows all that. He knows. You just got a'trust 'im."
   Nels nodded. "I know." He turned his horse and with a 'night' to Owen he rode home.
                                     ___________________________
     Nels stabled his horse in the dark barn and walked to the house. He ducked through the door and stopped. He quickly scanned the room.
   Rachel was on her hands and knees aimlessly scrubbing the floor. Her skirts were wet to above her knees and her sleeves up to her elbows. The curtains were hung crookedly over the windows. One curtain was thrown over the back of a chair. Nels looked down at his feet. He was standing in a puddle of water.
   Nels shut the door behind him and hung his hat on the hook beside the door. "What in the world do you think you doing, Rachel?" Nels asked quietly.
  Rachel jumped. "Nels? I'm-I'm cleaning."
 She stood up and turned towards the door. Her blue eyes stared off behind him. Her long golden hair hung loosely about her shoulders. It seemed to glow in the dim light from the fire. She was a real beauty. That's what everyone told Nels. "If only it weren't for her eyes. Such a pity," they would say.
        "I wanted- I thought maybe-I mean, I." Rachel stammered to a stop.
 Nels glanced around the room. Rachel, if you only knew. Lord, she needs to go to that school, so she can live life again.
    "Whatever made you think you could clean the house?" Nels asked with a little reproach.
 Rachel twisted her wet apron in her hands. "I can clean the house. I can-" She straitened her shoulders and let go of her apron and clenched her fists by her sides. "You work so hard. I'm - I'm just a burden to you. I want to do my part. If I start doing more around the house, you can do more work outside. And you need to start eating better! You probably haven't had lunch or supper today! I can start making the food and," Rachel would have continued but Nels stopped her.
   "Rachel, listen to me. You've got to-"
Nels leaped for the stove as a pot of coffee suddenly boiled over. Without thinking he grabbed the hot handle, hot coffee boiled over the side running down over his hand, burning him. He jerked his hand away quickly. Nels clenched his jaw to keep for letting out a howl of pain.
   Snatching a wet cloth from the table he moved the coffee to the back of the stove. He tuned back to Rachel while rapping the same cloth around his hand. He didn't know how bad the burn was but he would take care of it later.
   Rachel had her head up listening. "What happened?"
  "Nothing." Nels answered through his clenched teeth.
     He took Rachel by the elbow with his good hand and lead her to Mother's rocking chair next to the fireplace. Without a word he helped Rachel sit down. Then he sat down in a chair opposite her.
  His hand burned with pain as he gently pressed the cool cloth around it. He looked at Rachel, who sat nervously in her chair. Then he looked down at his boots. I don't know how to tell her, Lord.
   Taking a deep breath Nels began," Rachel, I know you want to help, but you really can't."
   Rachel was wringing her hands. "Please, Nels! I can do it! I know I can! You can help me learn! I just can't stand sitting around any more."
  "I don't think you understand. It's dangerous. You could get burnt, cut yourself, and you can't even tell what your doing."
   Nels could tell that what he said hurt Rachel but he couldn't keep the truth from her. She had to find out.
   "And I really don't have time to help you. I'm really sorry. I know how difficult it is, but we don't really have a choice." Nels stood up and faced the fire. "I couldn't tell you this before but, I wont be able to send you to that blind school for a couple years."
 There, I said it.
   Rachel didn't answer. Nels cleared his throat. "I've been working as hard as I can for over a year and money is just getting tighter. I can't even keep up with all the repairs that need do'n. I don't know how Pa did it!"
  I sure could use his help right now.
   Nels looked at Rachel. Tears were running down her cheeks. Nels felt awful. "I'm sorry, Rachel."
    Rachel nodded. "I'll be okay. I-I guess I'll have to stick with mending and knitting, the one thing I can do without looking." Rachel's voice cracked and she broke down crying.
   Nels looked down at the floor. He wanted to ease her pain but he didn't know how. It wrenched at Nels heart to see Rachel with her hands over he face, tears dripping between her fingers.
  God, why is life so hard? Why? Nels asked in his heart.
   If Pa were there he would know what to say. He was a quiet man but seemed to know always know what to say and when to say it.
 If only he were here. To show me. To guide me. 
  
   Well, What do you think? Would you like to hear more? Oh, and a post on book names coming soon! I'd really like your ideas for book names as well! Then I'll put it to a vote! Than I'll choose a name for my book!
                                   ~Kylie

Comments

  1. Girl, you've got a hand in writing. I feel as though you could publish this and people would love it. You've got a good way at explaining things and getting though to the writer. I love it. Keep up the good work. You're doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I don't feel like I'm a vary good writer but I'm glad you think it's good! I don't think I'll ever publish it, but who know?!!

      Delete
    2. You're a wonderful writer. At least I think so. *winks* Like LaKaysha said, keep up the good work!
      (also, I think you should publish it)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job, Kylie! I can see that you have a natural talent for writing! Keep up the good work ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! πŸ’–πŸ’—πŸ’–πŸ’— The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co