Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers // Chapter 9

Chapter 9
The Buck brothers stood waiting, hats drawn low. Hank and Kid road into the yard. Hank drew up sharp. He looked from one man to another. Tex tipped his hat back. "Hank, Where's my brother?" His tone was hard and cold.
Hank and Kid stared. "Where is my Brother?" Tex demanded again.
Hank's eyes held hatred but he said in a friendly tone. "Listen, Mister. I have no idea what your talking about. I don't know you and I don't know anything about your brother."
"You know me." Tex stated flatly.
"You calling me a liar?"
Tex knew what Hank was trying to do and he seen no way around it.
Lord, I don't want to have to shoot him! Please give me wisdom. I don't want anyone to get hurt. He prayed.
He looked Hank right in the eye and said, "I asked were my brother is and I'd like an answer."
Hank glared at him. "I came here to talk with the Bakers, not some drunk cowhand."
"I don't drink." Tex told him matter-of-factually.
"I want Baker. Were is he?"
Hank was getting mad. Tex knew one wrong move and there would be shooting.
"He don't want to talk to you." Ben spoke up suddenly.
Tex inwardly winced. Careful, Ben.
Hank's face turned red with anger. "I said, I want to talk to him and I will talk to him!"
"If you have anything to tell him. Tell us and we'll tell him for you." Tex didn't want the Bakers getting into this.
Hank swore and reached for his gun. Tex saw it coming and let his reflexes take over. Hank was bringing up his gun when Tex fired. Hank drop the pistol and stared at his bloody hand in shock.
Tex had swung his gun on Kid but Kid moved his hand quickly away from his gun. "Undo your gun belt!" Tex commanded.
Tom had retrieved Hanks guns and now move to take Kid's. Kid obliged. "Kid, one question for you, and then I want you and your pal to get." Tex looked the kid right in the face. It is hard to lie when someone is looking at you that way. "Where is my brother?" Tex said each word slowly.
"I ain't telling." Kid's face was pale and his voice unsteady.
"I think you are going to tell. Where is he?" Ben stepped up to the kid's horse.
Kid gulped. "I...I don't know. The boss took him and I ain't seen him seance."
"Where did you last see him?" Chuck asked.
"Don't ya dare go tell'n 'em!" Hank yelled.
"Up that way." Kid pointed. He straightened and lifted his chin. "I won't say more'n that."
"Fine." Tex lowered his gun to his side. "Now, get!" Tex commanded.
Hank holding a bloody rag to his hand and Kid leading the way the two left. "Why didn't you kill him?" Ben asked. "He'll be hunting you now."
Tex looked at Ben and nodded. "Ben, I don't want to kill. Sometimes it is necessary but I guess the Lord didn't want me to kill him this time. I didn't think when I drew this gun. And it wasn't any power of my own that helped me get that gun out of his hand before he had the chance to use it. I just drew and shot, God gave me the speed and aim. It wasn't me." Tex reloaded the used round in his gun and holstered it.
Ben didn't reply but studied Tex face for a moment. He gave a slow nod.
Francis came out of the house followed by his sons. Tex could see Pauline standing in the doorway. She held one hand over her mouth as if she was still in shock at what she had just witnessed.
"What was that all about?" Francis asked. His five sons stood in a U behind him.
Tex looked to Tom and Chuck. Tom nodded. "He's a right to know."
Tex saw the Baker boys exchange glances. "Let's finish breakfast, shall we," he said.
Over the now lukewarm meal, Tex and his brothers told the story of Luke kidnapping. "I'm sorry that you had to have all that happen in fount of your house.Anything could happen now. We don't want you or your family to get hurt. We should leave."
"No." Francis held up an hand. "Stay. I can offer temporary jobs to you all."
Tom Shook his head. "We don't want to bring you trouble."
"I feel as if it's the right thing to do. Me and my sons will help you all we can." Francis's sons nodded.
"Well..." Tex hesitated. "All right."
"Good!" Francis pushed back his chair back. "Boys, lets help your sister with these dishes."
Tex glanced at Pauline. She hadn't taken a bite of food since Hank arrived. She sat staring down at her plate. Now she looked up. "Pa, I don't need all of you to help."
Her father grinned at her. "You take this morning off and your brothers and I will take care of the house chores."
She didn't answer, but she didn't need to. Her eyes thank him for her. "Then I'll go for a ride. Do you mind?" She asked.
"Not at tall." Francis patted her shoulder.
>>>><<<<
Pauline rode slowly over the hills watching the long horns gazing. She tried to enjoy the beauty around her but her mind kept going back to that morning. How fast it had all happened. She kept seeing Hanks hand in her mind over and over. Her stomach turned over every time she thought of it. She swallowed hard. She shook her head trying to ride the horrid picture out of her mind.
She a sudden picture of the small stream that ran through some trees down near the edge of their property popped into her head. She hadn't been there for awhile and why she thought of it now she didn't know. But it was quiet there and maybe she could get her thoughts in order.
She kicked her horse into a canter. It felt good to feel the wind on her face. The thrilling motion of the horse beneath her. Her skirts billowed out behind her. She heard the gurgle of the stream. A beautiful sound. She slowed her horse to ride through the trees.
Then, there it was. The stream sparkled and ran laughing over the rock.
Pauline gasped and her horse shied back. A man stumbled out of the brush. He was dressed in rages. His face was battered and blood. He was tall and had dark hair. Paul gasped. He looked just like Tex, just younger.
 The end of chapter 9.
 Ta da! There it is. I really enjoyed this chapter. It was so much fun to write!! It's short but it's jam-packed with action!
 ~ Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. So cool! BTW I tagged you on my blog!

    ~Beth
    bethinboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how Tex explained the shooting incident with Hank and Kid to Ben.

    Very interesting! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Thanks! I'm glad, because I had a hard time getting him to say just the right thing. If you know what I mean?
    Okay, I will!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne