Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers// Chapter 12

Ready? Time for our story to continue!

Chapter 12

"Mind if I ask you something?" Ben asked from across the table at Lady Marge's.
"Not at all, Ben." Tom put down his small black Bible.
"You and your brothers are always talking about God." Ben hesitated as if trying to find the right words. "I... Do you really believe all that stuff?"
Tom nodded. "We do." 
"I use to go to church," Ben said. "I left though. It didn't make seance to me. I mean, you have to do so much and be so perfect. It's impossible."
"Your right." Tom nodded.
Ben looked startled. "Huh? I don't get it. I thought..."
"It is impossible. Without Jesus. No one can be perfect. God knows that. That's why he sent Jesus here to earth. To die for our sins. That way, we can be forgiven and live forever with God in heaven." 
"I'm afraid I don't remember that much about the Bible. I'd like to know more about Jesus." Ben ducked his head slightly. 
Tom felt gladness flooding him. "I would be more then glad to tell you all about him."
"I'd like it if you would."
Lord, give me the words to tell your love and forgiveness. Tom prayed. 
"Do you believe there's a God?" Tom asked.
Ben considered for a moment. "I guess, I do. I just never put much trust in him. I reckon I figured I'd never be good enough for him. But you say I don't have to?"
Tom nodded. "No. The Bible says that all you have to do is believe."
"Believe what?"
"That Christ Jesus came to earth as a man and died on a cross for your sins, and my sins. In the Bible, God gave us Jesus story. How he was connived by the Holy Ghost, born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, and was put to death for no wrong of his own, but for you and me." 
Ben nodded. "Tell me." He sat back in his chair. Ready for a long talk.
Tom and Ben talked for many hours. As they talked Tom suddenly wish he knew his Bible better. He found that as they read and discussed many passages, he also was learning much. 
"Excuse me, gentlemen." Tom look up at the elderly woman. 
She was short and pretty. Her gray hair was wrapped in a not at the back of her head. Her eyes twinkled and her smile was sincere. "Do forgive me for interrupting such a deep conversation. With such a good topic, too. But it is nearing midnight and I really must close up."
Tom looked around the empty room. Chuck had left earlier to take over watching the cows for Ben. The Bakers were gone, when they left Tom didn't know. The other cowhands had gone down to the saloon.  
"Well, excuse me, ma'am. We would have left sooner had we realized the time." Tom apologized.
"No need to apologize. I rather enjoyed it. I surely did. Are you a minister?" She asked.
"Me?" Tom shook his head.  "No, no. Just a cowhand and part owner of a small ranch, with a faith in a God of love." Tom answered closing his Bible and standing up. 
"You should think on becoming one. I really like what you had to say about God's word," she said.
"To tell you the truth, I've thought on it some. Maybe I will. I don't know." Tom shrugged. "I'll wait and see where the Lord leads."
"Perhaps we can talk again some time? Bring your friend of course." She suggested.
"Sure. With the food they serve here, they can't keep me away." Tom grinned. "I'm Thomas Buck by the way." He said giving a slight bow.
"I'm Lady Marge. At least that's what everyone calls me around here." Marge smiled a dimpled smile. 
As Tom and Ben mounted their horses, Ben asked, "We'll talk again sometime?"
"Sure, Ben. Any time. To any of us brothers." Tom answered.
>>>><<<<
Tex rode behind Luke and Pauline. The younger man and Foss rode behind and Billy lead the way. The morning was still cool and the air was fresh. 
Tex looked down at his hands. They were tied to the horn of the saddle. At least this time they were tied loosely so he could hold the rains. His thoughts turn to their situation. He hadn't had time to speak of it to Luke. There was a few points that needed cleared up. A lot of questions needed answered. 
What would these men do to Pauline? She was a girl. Surely they would let her go. She hardly knew him and his brothers. It was possible that they would keep her. Tex hated to even think of it but he must plan for all possibilities. He must be prepared to give his life to protect Pauline, if it came to that. 
Tex looked up at Pauline. She rode with her head up and alert. Her hair had become lose and strains blew across her face. Her skirt and blouse were rumpled from the nights sleep on the ground. 
Tex eyes turned to Luke. He was slumped in his saddle. His head hanging down. He was getting weaker. Tex was afraid for him. As if Luke wasn't weak enough before the trip across a desert. And who knows what else happened! Luke was tough. Tex was glad of that. Any other man might have given out by now. 
Billy pulled up. A man came out of the brush not to far away. "That you Billy?"  
"Yep. Got our prisoner back and a few more." Billy gestured behind him at the prisoners. 
Tex couldn't help grin. "Hi there, Pit! Remember me!" He called out. 
"Well, well, well. Couldn't keep away from us, could you, Buck." Pit replied mockingly.
"Not as long as you have my brother in your grasp." Tex answered truthfully.
"Pit, what are you doing way down here?" Billy asked interrupting them.
"On my way down to Lady Marge's. But if'n there's Bucks around I might not want to."
"You might not want to at that." Tex answered and nodded.
Pit was annoyed but said nothing. His brown eye moved over to Pauline. He let out a swear. "What are you think you're doing bringing a lady out here?" He shouted flinging up a hand in frustration. "Billy, have you gone mad? You'll have the whole country looking for us!"
"I had no choice! I don't know how much she knows of what's going on. But she's friends with them." Billy answered jerking a thumb in Tex's direction. 
Pit ran a suntanned hand over his face and let out a frustrated sigh."I'll ride ahead and talk to your Father. You bring them on over." He walked away mumbling under his breath.

>>>><<<<
"We'll spread out in four directions." Francis directed. "Tom, Chuck, and Ben in one group. Flint you take two of the cowhands. York, take Robert and another cowhand. Mark and Adam, come with me. Four gun shots, two fast ones and two slow ones, means you found Paul. Just two fast shots means you found sign of her. Everyone understand?" Everyone nodded. "Okay. If you don't find her by noon, we'll all met back here."
Then everyone split up. Five hours later Tom, Chuck and Ben topped a small hill and stopped.
"Where do we go from here?" Ben asked.
Tom studied the country around him. "Lets spread out but keep each other in sight. We'll met at the trees up ahead." He instructed. "If we don't find anything we'll head back." Tom circled to the right, Chuck went strait and Ben circled left.  
Chuck neared the trees when he suddenly waved his arms wildly and shouted. Tom spurred his in his direction but pulled up before him made it to him. 
There were tracks of two horses heading for the trees. Tom knew at once the tracks of Tex's horse. Who's were the other tracks? They were older then Tex's by several hours. Had Tex found something?
Tom glanced back up at Chuck, who had dismounted and was standing waving an object in the air. Tom glanced once more at the tracks and trotted to Chuck. He yelled as he got closer, "What did you find?" 
"Come see for your self." Chuck hollered back. 
When Tom pulled up Chuck handed him the black cloth. "Tex's bandanna?" Tom asked. 
"Yep! And that's not all! It and this note were held down by this rock." 
Chuck handed him the note. It had yesterdays date and the words, "Found Luke. He needs help. If anything goes wrong, know that Pauline is here too. TB," written on it.
"Tex ran into trouble and he was expecting it." Tom answered.
Chuck glanced around and asked, "Where's Ben?"
Tom looked around. "I'm not sure." Tom turned in his saddle to see behind him.
Suddenly, there was two fast gun shots from the trees. "He's found something." Chuck shouted grabbing his saddle horn and flinging himself into the saddle.  
As Tom and Chuck neared the trees Ben came out and held them. "Better go in on foot and step careful. There's tracks a plenty and you don't want to ruin them." 
They enter the trees and carefully studied the tracks. In those days men could read tracks better then most people could read a book and Tom, Chuck, and Ben were no exception. They soon had most the story. Pauline finding Luke, then Tex's fight, and the other men's sudden appearance. 
"Well," Tom sighed at last. "We know they took Tex and Pauline but they covered their tracks so we can't follow them. But I have a hunch. Let's get back to the ranch." 
On the way back they ran into Francis's search party and they could see the other two in the distances. "What did you find?" Francis asked eagerly as they got near.
"We'll tell you when we met up with the other search parties." Chuck answered.
Francis frowned but turned and followed without a word. When the groups gathered Tom said, "Let's ride back to the ranch.We need fresh horses any way." 
As they rode Tom, Chuck, and Ben told what they had found. When Francis heard his daughter had been kidnapped he turned red with anger. "They better not harm my daughter or I'll..." 
Chuck interrupted him before he could finish. "She'll be fine as long as Tex and Luke are with her."
"Well, what are we doing now?" Flint asked as they neared the barn.
"I've a hunch," Tom said. "I'll take Chuck and Ben with me. If you don't mind, I'd like the rest of you to wait here. I'll send someone to get you if we need any help."
"What do you have in mind?" Francis asked. 
"Do you know of any one around here that use to work for Jim Locks?" Tom asked.
"Jim Locks? You don't think he had any thing to do with this, do you?" Flint asked with what seamed to be a little anger.
"I'm not sure." Tom replied.
Francis looked skeptical. "William Parr worked for Jim for a good many years, until he bought his ranch about six mouths ago." 
"Give me the directions to his ranch, will ya? I need to ask him some questions."
>>>><<<<
Tex eyed the barn yard, the house, and the men standing on its porch. Billy rained in and dismounted. Foss and the younger man, Mac, did likewise and followed him up onto the porch. Tex knew almost everyone there. 
There was Hank, Pit, Kid, and Tuck from back in Iron Canyon. There was Mac, Foss, Billy, and one other man. Tex recognized this man by the scare through one eyebrow. It was Pete Mowatt! He looked much older but his eyes still held that mean glare that turned your insides.    
Pete came down the steps and walked up to Tex's horse. He glared up at Tex with his mean brown eyes. "So, it is you," he said after a moment.
"Yea. Who did you expected? My father?" Tex asked, returning Pete's gaze. 
"Still as sassy as ever, I see. Never mind. Mac? Take our friends on over to their bunks." Pete turned back to Tex. "I'll be seeing you."
"I'm sure you will." Tex muttered under his breath. He nudged his horse into a walk and followed Mac across the barn yard.
Their bunks turned out to be in a small shed. It was dug half way into a hill side and barely visible from the barn yard. With only one window and the door with a strong bar a cross the out side, it was very dimly lit.
Tex could tell as Mac opened the door, that the inside was empty, besides the two blankets laying in a corner on the dirt floor. Mac freed Tex. "You get your brother."
Luke almost fell from the saddle into Tex arms. "Sorry." He whispered. 
"No need to be. It ain't your fault." Tex replied quietly. 
Tex wrapped a arm around Luke's shoulders to help him stand. He hadn't realized until now how frail Luke had gotten. He felt as though he would break him in two!
"Forgive me, Pauline. I'd help you from your horse but I'm afraid that I can't at the moment," Tex said to Pauline whom still sat in her saddle.
"That's all right. Thank you for caring though." Pauline answered giving him a warm smile. 
Mac held out a hand to Pauline. "Let me give you a hand, Pauline," he said.
"That's Miss Baker." She swiftly slid out of the saddle, ignoring his hand, and in a few steps stood by Luke's other side. 
Mac did not like that and he became cross. "Well, you ain't so nice ether." He huffed.
"Can we go inside now?" Tex asked. Luke needed to lie down.
Mac nodded and waited for them to enter, then slammed the door behind them. Tex and Pauline stood and listened as the bar dropped into place.
The end of chapter 12.
~Kylie Nancy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne