Skip to main content

Book Review // The Bucks of Goober Holler

He sprang it on Joe and Me about three o'clock Friday morning. I mean, not even the birds were awake yet!
"I've got it! Wake up, guys!" Jake was hollering and jumping up and down on the bed, waving some papers around. The lights were on and I could see he had a wild grin on his face and a gleam in his black eyes. Joe woke up scared and tried to crawl under the covers. Jake ripped them off him and began shouting again, and we all fell off the bed.
"Cut it out, Jake!" I shouted. "Have you gone crazy?"
The Bucks of Goober Holler
By Gilbert Morris
Bucks of Goober
I give this book five stars
 Yep, my first five star review! It's more of a kid book but I liked/like it a lot! It's by Gilbert Morris, the Author of the "House of Winslow" series. Which I also enjoy. Perhaps I'll do a review on my favorite one sometime. Oh, and it's only a coincidence that they are called Bucks in this book. I didn't realize that they had the same name as in my book "The Buck Brothers," until later.
Plot: (Off back of book) "It's not going to be easy. Barney, Joe, and Jake Buck have to convince the folks of Goober Holler that they're just a normal family. Of course, it doesn't help that the three of them just appeared out of nowhere to claim an old family shack. Or that the folks keep stopping by to meet their parents-whom are never at home. or that Jake keeps drawing attention with his crazy schemes, like the Great Catapult Caper and the Great Chicken Beak Bet! And the only person more interested in Jake's than Jake is the sheriff... Nope, it wont be easy. But the Bucks will do whatever they have to- no mater how crazy people think they are- because they know there's more at stake then they can afford to loose."
Their parents are dead, and they are trying to keep the family together...
 What I liked about the book:
 So, like I said, I love this book! It's great for laughs and is just plain good!! It's been a favorite of mine and my siblings for a long time. Each telling the younger they should read it. This book may seem like it's just for good laughs but it also has good biblical morals to it. It takes place in the Ozarks and there is coon hunting like in "Where the Red Fern Grows." (Which, if you haven't read or watched the movie yet you should!! Trust me! Be warned though, You'll cry.)
Anyway, back to "The Buck of Goober Holler". You like Barney. Like obviously! He's the one telling the story and the oldest brother, so...  You like Jake even though he's a bit of a hot head and maybe a little crazy. And Joe's, well, the cute little brother!
So, yeah. It's not a very deep book, but if your looking for a good read for yourself or you and your kids, that will make you laugh, it's just right for you!
 What I didn't like about the book:
Barney likes a girl and she likes him, if that bothers you. But it doesn't go father then that, as I remember. There is a swear word or two (which we blacked out in our book) by a former Army man whom was the brothers' father's friend. Like I say it's kind of meant for younger readers, so there's that but I still enjoy it...
A few quotes: 
- "Clyde, they're gonna split us up. Judge Poindexter said so! You gotta help us!"
"But couldn't Miss Jean-"
"No. She can't do anything except what the judge says. But we got a plan, Clyde. Only it won't work without you. If you'll help us, we can stay together!"
"Shoot, Barney," Clyde said, leaning back in a kitchen chair.

- "All right, hold still," Uncle Dave said. Then he gave a jerk, which nearly knocked me off the table. "Be still there," he said with a grin. "Feller has fun, he's gotta be willing to pay for it."
"Fun?!" I shouted. "I don't see any fun-"
"You just quiet down," he said, and his eyes got a little hard. "Them splinters gotta come out--all of 'em. You wanna be a man about it or not?"
Put that way, what could I do? I lay down on the table and clamped my lips together. I'd show him Jake wasn't the only one in the family with Indian in him!
 Uncle Dave was as careful as he could be, but I was ready to quit long before he was. finally he got all the big ones and said, "My eyes ain't no good for this close work. One of you boys wanna get the little ones?"
"Don't let those monsters near me," I said. "I'll do it!"
"You can't," he said. "You can't reach some of 'em. Here, Debra, you get these little ones."
She took the pliers and began working on the small ones. I was mortified!
  Lol! I love that part!!! *laughing*
So, are you looking forward to more of these? Or should I stop posting them?
~ Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting! Maybe you'll have to borrow it to us one of these days since the library is still closed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I just nominated you for a tag on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne