Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers // Chapter 11

SO... last time I put a chapter on, it ended with Luke getting a punch in the stomach. Remember? Now it's time to continue...

Chapter 11

Foss went to kick Luke again but Pauline grabbed him around the legs, tripping him. 
"Get out of here!" Foss yelled, pushing her off. 
Pauline gasped as hands suddenly helped her to her feet. "I'll take care of this," said a familiar voice.
Tex pull Foss up by the front of his shirt and smashed a fist into his face. Foss yelled in anger. Tex stepped back to get away from a wild punch and tripped on Foss's placed boot. Tex fell to the ground and before he could get up Foss charged. 
Tex placed his elbows firmly on the ground and brought up his boots. They caught Foss in mid charge and sent him flying over Tex's head. 
Sploosh! Foss landed in the stream. He scrambled to his feet and turned around glaring at Tex.
Oh, God please help Tex! Pauline prayed, her back pressed against the ruff bark of a tree. 
Tex and Foss circled, looking for chances. Foss tried a left hook but Tex ducked it. Tex came up with a right hook to Foss's nose. Foss screamed like a madman and grabbed for Tex shirt, blood dripping from him broken nose.
Tex stepped away from a right hook but he wasn't fast enough and it caught him along his jaw. They fought all over the place. Pauline just squeezed her eyes shut and prayed. Her eyes popped back open when a voice shouted right next to her. "Lay off, Buck! You wouldn't want me to hurt you brother, now would you?"
Pauline trembled in fear. A man stood with gun to Luke's back.
Tex stepped back to keep Foss in view and see the other man. Pauline choked on a scream as an other man stepped up behind Tex, and put a rifle to his spine.
 Pauline's knees wet weak. Oh, God, please protected us! Help us now!
 The man with the gun to Tex back nudged him with the barrel. "Get over there with the others."
Pauline watched Tex face. There wasn't fear or anger there. He looked confused. Like he might know the man behind him. Pauline looked at the man with the gun. 
Tex might not know him, but she did. It was Billy Mowatt. Pete's son. They had bought the ranch of Jim Locks.
>>>><<<<
Tom and Chuck sat resting on the bunks. The Mexican cowhand and Ben were still out. But the other two cowhands and some of the Bakers were there. Chuck was challenged to a game of checkers but turned it down. "Never was much good at that game."
Tom however accepted the challenge and the game went on for about an hour. Chuck glanced out the window. It was almost dark.  Flint and Mark came in from out side. "Eat yet?" Mark asked.
"Nope." York replied from behind a two week old news paper. "Paul hasn't rung for us yet."
"She should of by now." Flint stated.
"Guess she's slow today."  Robert shrugged.
Francis opened the door. "Has anyone seen Paul?" he asked.
"Ain't she up at the house?" Flint answered.
"No. I just looked there and in the barn. There's no sign of her. Her horse is still gone, too." Francis opened the door a little farther. 
"Come to think of it. It's odd Tex ain't back yet." Tom glanced down at the checker board and did his move.
"Unless he found someth'n" Chuck put in.
"I'm worried about Paul. She's never out this late." Francis admitted.
"Perhaps one of the woman from an other ranch needed her. Did you check if she left a note?" Flint asked.
"No. I'll check." Francis turned and laid the way to the house. 
Tom and Chuck stood out side and waited with the other cowhands. Francis came back out frowning even more then when he want in. "Don't look like she's been back sense this morning."
Tom looked up at the sky. It was painted with arise of purple and pink. Birds were singing their good-night songs.  A coyote let out a lonely howl. 
"Well," Francis said studying the sky also, "I guess, all we can do for now is wait and pray. I hope your right, Flint. Maybe she'll be back in the morning." 
"I hope so too." Tom saw a flicker a doubt in Flints eyes, but he quickly covered it.
"What about supper?" One of the cowhands asked. Pauline's brothers turned four pares of annoyed eyes on the man.
Francis sighed. "I ain't hungry but if you are go ahead and ride to Lady Marge's." 
He was answered with silents.  "I guess it's better then hanging around here on an empty stomach." York stated finally.
Another coyote howled. 
>>>><<<<
Tex listen to a coyote howl. The fire crackled as a log settled, sending sparks spiraling upward. Tex's gaze fell on Billy Mowatt. 
He still couldn't wrap his mind around the fact Billy was here. Could Pete Mowatt... No. Or could he? It had happened so long ago. Why would he come back? Could it be...?
Tex's thoughts were interrupted but the younger man. "Why not have the girl make the food," he said. "I'm getting tiered of Billy's cooking." 
"At least it wasn't you making the food. We would have all died choking of the stuff." Foss answered from where he sat holding a bandanna to his sore nose. 
"Shut your trap or I'll shoot it up!" Snarled back the younger man.
Foss just grinned. The younger man picked up a kettle and dropped it in front of Pauline. "Make us someth'n." He commanded.
"Would you like me to make you some mud pies?" Pauline asked. Her face was completely serious but her voice held a spark of anger. "I make good mud pies. With just the perfect texture. Not to watered down and not to dry."
Tex had a hard time keeping from laughing. He coughed.
The younger man glared at Pauline. He raised a hand as if to slap her. Tex tensed to jumped to her defense.
"Mac! Leave the girl be." Billy commanded. "Miss Baker, would you mind making us something? It would be right nice of ya." Billy never once looking up from the stick he was whittling. 
"Oh! You want me to make food? Why didn't you just say so, Mac?" Pauline snapped. She scooped the kettle into her lap. "I guess, men like you, don't dare to ask anything of a girl." 
Mac opened his mouth but Billy interrupted what he was going to say. "Miss Baker. Just make the food. Don't talk." 
"You're forbidding me to talk now?" Pauline's eye flashed fire. 
Tex had to admire her grit, even if it wasn't going to help maters.
Billy slowly lifted his head. "Miss Baker-"
"You think you can tell me what to do. You think you can keep me here." Pauline throw the kettle to the ground. "But you can't! I've been away from home to long and my Pa..."
"Sit down." Billy demanded coldly as Pauline jumped to her feet. 
"You can't keep me here!" Pauline shouted. "You can't, I tell you! My Pa and brothers will come! And if you lay a hand on me..." 
"Pauline. It's alright. You need to calm down." Tex glanced at Billy. "Acting the way you are isn't helping." 
Pauline sat down hard, her face burning from anger or embarrassment. Tex couldn't tell. The camp grew quiet. Pauline drew up her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. She sat that way for sometime, staring at the ground. 
Then she stood up. Calmly she picked up the kettle. You couldn't have helped but notice the change in her. Her face was still and she had peaceful look about her. She turned to Billy. "Please, forgive my sudden burst of anger," she said sincerely.
Billy looked slightly embarrassed. "Uh, Sure." He shrugged. 
"Do you still want me to make the food?" Pauline asked.
Billy shuffled his feet and shrugged again. "Whatever." 
"Don't worry. I won't make mud pies." Pauline smiled slightly. "I'm really a good cook and would never serve anyone, not even someone I don't like so much, mud pies."
The end of Chapter 11.

Comments

  1. Very well written my friend! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I can wait to give you more!! *winks*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne