Skip to main content

Book review // Second Watch

I sobbed. If only Papa were here to rescue us. John's arms went limp.
"NO. I won't let you die!" Drawing him closer to me, I heard him moan and his tremors.
"Em...preash," he said, slurring the word. "Shaara."
Another Book review! This time I choose a more adult book.
Second Watch By Karen Autio
Second Watch
I give this book four stars
I almost gave this book three stars but then it was so good I could almost give it five. I didn't because I cried so hard the first time I read it that I had to put the book down until I could see. But I didn't want to put it down because I wanted to keep reading...
This book is a based on a true story about a ship that sunk about the same time as the Titanic. My family has always found it interesting because of our Finnish heritage. The story is about Saara, (Finnish for Sarah) and her family. The story starts a few months before they board the Empress of Ireland.
 Plot: (Taken from back of Book) "Eleven-year-old Saara dreams of a trip to Finland to meet her grandparents. When Papa loses his job, family tensions rise and Saara's hopes fall. How will they ever save enough for the precious tickets, or convince Papa they should go? Uncle Aveo predicted a travelling year for Saara-- but her journey will take her further than anyone could have imagined.
The 1914 tragedy of the steamship Empress of Ireland, Canada's worst nautical disaster in peacetime, provides an historical basis for this compelling tale of hardship and hope, faith and family. Spirited Saara comes to life in the vivid world of Finnish immigrant culture in northwestern Ontario. Join her as she navigates a challenging time at home, and as she seeks passage on the majestic Empress of Ireland."
 What I liked about the book: 
It book was so exciting and well written I hardly put it down. I loved the links to the Finnish heritage! I also liked how it speaks of God. Even has quotations of scripture and prayer.  I loved how the sinking of the ship, as terrible as it was, help in a story of healing and love... The story is all the more interesting because it is based on the true story of a real person! and with it being a true story it also becomes more relatable to our own lives and the  lives around us. There is the same feelings of hurt, hate, love, and jealousy. There is the same things we have to learn as people. We must learn to forgive, to love, to honor, and respect. This story was a great read and I would highly recommend it!
 What I didn't like about the book:
It made me cry! The story has you emotions going up and down and every where! The book ends well, but I cried so hard! The sinking of the ship was bad enough but what happens after was totally sad!!! I'd never had and haven't seance read a book that had me crying like this book did! At first you cry because it sad and then you cry because it so sweet. I would explain why but I guess you should read it for yourself.
But that's why I said for was an older person book. Younger kids could read or have this book read to them but it is sad. I think there was some little thing I didn't like but they work out. So, besides how sad it was... I think that's about it...
A few quotes:
- Papa attended meetings every night. He came home angry after every one, it seemed. Bang!  The slamming door would jolt me awake, heart racing. Papa's loud voice would boom through the kitchen, pouring up the heating pipes and into my bedroom. "Fools! Can't they see?"

- "More like a grand flop, if you ask me," said John.
"he wasn't asking you, was he?" I whisper, but the look I gave my brother intending to silence him only spurred him on. "She got stuck and forgot the words!" John grinned. "Then she ran away from school."
"Forgetting lines happens to the best of reciters," said Papa. "But being truant! And lying to me! How could you?" His voice was cold and piercing as an icicle. I hung my head. "I'm ashamed of you. Bring me all you books. You will do without."

I hope you take the time to read this one! If you have read or do read this book, please drop a comment and let me me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Oh, this looks like a good book! I have been enjoying your frequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It is! I'm glad. I've been trying to put post on more consistently. Hopefully I can continue to.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting, but I don't like books that get my emotions too involved.. Haha! So there is that.. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is... Yeah, *laughs* That's a bad point. *shrugs* But, it's still good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne