Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers // Chapter 10

Time Once again for a chapter of "The Buck Brothers!"

Chapter 10

Tex rained in his horse and studied the county around him. No sign that anyone had been through there recently. Either Kid lied or all sign had been erased. Both were likely. Should he have let Hank and Kid go? If he didn't find any sign now, all could be lost.
Tex rode on. It was possible they, who ever they were, had killed Luke already. That is want they wanted, wasn't it? The brothers dead.
"Lord, please, protect my brother!" Tex prayed aloud. "Give him strength. Show me how to find him."
>>>><<<<
Pauline stared as the man came forwarded. He held up his hand and opened his mouth as if to say something. He stumbled and fell to his face. He put a hand under him as if trying to rise but fell again to the ground. This time he lay still.
Pauline hesitated. Then she slid out of the saddle and ran to the man's side. She knelt down beside him. Carefully she rolled him over. He slowly opened his eyes and blinked as if trying to focus on her face. "Lay still." Pauline instructed gently. He gave a barely audible nodded.
She stood up and went to her horse. She unsaddled him and tied him near the water. She took the saddle back to the man. Now she was glad she had always carried emergency supplies with her on her rides.
Using her saddle for a pillow, she tried to make him comfortable. She wished she had a blanket. She started a fire and placed a small pot of water on it. She felt the mans eye upon her as she soaked her handkerchief in the stream. Should she say something?
She turned to him and used the handkerchief to wash the dirt off his face. She took a deep breath. "I'm Pauline Baker."
"I'm Luke." He pronounced each word carefully.
"Luke Buck?"
A look of surprised crossed Luke's face. "Yeah. How did you know?"
"You look so much like Tex."
Luke looked even more surprised. "Tex? You know my brother?"
"He is staying at our house. He had a fight with Hank this morning, in our front yard." Pauline turned to check the water.
"He's all right?" Luke asked.
Pauline nodded. "Not a scratch. Hank lost a few finger.." She added a stick to the fire.
"Good."
Luke closed his eyes and lay silent. He opened his eyes again and asked, "Mind watching while I catch a some shut eye? I haven't been sleeping to well."
"Of course not. Sleep. It will do you good."
"Thanks. I..." The last of his comment was to faint to hear. He drifted off to sleep.
Pauline had intended to use the hot water to clean Luke's wounds but she didn't want to wake him. She made coffee instead.
>>>><<<<
Pauline sat against a tree. It was getting late. Should she wake Luke?
No, let him sleep. He needs it.
A deer came out from the brush a little ways down the stream. It twitched it's tail, put its ears up and looked in her direction. Pauline held still and it soon looked away. It drank from the stream and then slowly it went down stream. It nibbled leaves and grass along the way.
Pauline sighed. It was beautiful here. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the tree. She listened to the wind rustling the leaves, the creeks quiet trickling noises, and the birds calling to one other.
She jumped when she heard movement beside her. It was Luke. He had risen to an elbow and was looking around him. "It's getting late," he said. "Why didn't you wake me?"
"I thought it would be best to let you sleep." Pauline stood up. "Want coffee?"
"Thank you but we really should go. They probably found my trail by now, and could be here any minuet."
"Your right, of course. But the coffee is already hot." Pauline poured some into a cup.
He took the cup when she offered it to him. His eyes scanned the woods over the cups brim as he took a drink. "You have a gun I can use?" He asked.
Pauline hadn't thought of that. "Yes. I have this pistol and then there's my rifle." She pointed to the rifle where it leaned against a tree.
Luke pulled himself up with a branch over head. He scooped up the small rifle. He looked it over carefully.
"Where is your horse?" he asked.
"I moved him to fresh grass further down the creek."
"Go get him and I'll put this fire out. We need to leave." Luke put the rifle down and dropped to his knees next to the fire.
Pauline nodded and went down stream. "Hi, boy." She talked gently to the horse.
She leaned to grab the rains when she heard the brush rustle behind her.
"Well, now! What do we got here?"  A deep voice spoke behind her.
Pauline straitened and went to turn but a big hand grasped her over the mouth. It smelt of tobacco and whisky mixed with dust and sweat. She squirmed and kicked trying to free her self. The arms tightened.  "Stop squirming." The voice hissed in her ear.
Pauline stopped. She knew it was useless to struggle. The grip loosened and she felt her pistol leave her holster. Then he let go of her and gave her a push. She stumbled forward. "Back to your friend." He growled.
Pauline picked up the rains of her horse and slowly headed back to camp. She tried to pray but all that came was, "Lord, help! Help! Help!," over and over in her head.
Luke had put down the rifle and was scattering the ashes of the fire. Hearing them coming he turned and froze. "Don't touch the rifle, behave yourself and the girl won't get hurt."
Luke stared calmly at the man. "Leave her alone, Foss!"
Pauline drew a sharp breath. Luke was in no condition to fight! He could barely stand!
Foss snorted. "You? You are telling me what to do?"
"Best leave her be." Luke eyes stayed on Foss's face, cool and unwavering.
Foss didn't like it and stepped forward and slapped Luke across the mouth with the back of his hand. Then he punched Luke in the stomach. Luke stumbled and fell. Foss went to kick him but Pauline grabbed his arm.
"Leave him be." She begged. "You'll kill him! Please, stop! Leave him alone!"
Foss shoved her away. She slipped on a stone and fell back against a tree. She gasped as pain shot from her head down her spine. Foss turned back to Luke, whom had now gotten to his knees. Foss kicked him in the stomach. Luke doubled over gasping for breath.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm glad. Pretty exciting don't you think? *laughs* This was a fun chapter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne