Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers / Chapter One

  Well, here it is. The first chapter of The Buck Brothers. I'm I ready? Maybe. As I read over my book I always find so many things I could do better, but I guess everything always has to begin some where. This book is my beginning. The beginning of me writing my own books. This book may not be perfect, but the memory of the fun I had creating it and what I learned writing it will remain with me.
 Here it is, my story, The Buck Brothers:

Introduction
The room was foggy with smoke. In the middle was a desk. Behind that desk  was a big man. A cigar hung out the side of his mouth. The fingers on his right hand tapped impatiently on the table. His beard was ragged, and his hair hung in snarls to his shoulders. Looking into his eyes you would know he was a man that had grown hard and mean. The scar through one eyebrow enhanced the menacing look.
 The door banged open and three men stumbled in tripping over one another. "What took you so long," shouted the man behind the desk, "You were supposed to be here a hour ago!"
"Sorry, Boss. It wasn't my fault. That long legged porcupine was..."
"It was not my fault!"
"Was too! If you hadn't-"
"Shut up the two of you." The third man had two six shooters strapped on his short leg. He was a confident man, sure of his guns and himself.
"Why? You were there! You know it wasn't-"
"Shut up!" The Boss slapped the top of the desk in front of him. "I don't want to know what happened!"
The three men gulped.
The Boss glared at them. "I have a job for you.You want it?""
"Course, Boss," the men chorused.
"Good. I have a plan that could make us rich. But before you can get anything..." He paused making sure they were all listening. "I want you to git rid of them Buck Brothers. I don't care how. Just get rid of them."
The men's eyes widened, but they didn't say a word. They nodded and left.
Boss's eyes narrowed and his eyes got dark. "Them Bucks. I have a score to settle with them." He sneered in hatred.
                                                          Chapter 1    
Twenty year old, Texas Buck dumped the cold well water from the bucket in to the basin. Then, quickly, he splashed the water over his face and hands. Tex buttoned up his shirt as nineteen year old, Thomas Buck stepped out of the bedroom door on the house and walk over to the basin.

"How's Luke?" Tex didn't really  need to ask. He knew just by looking at his brothers face.
Tom shook his head. "Not good, I'm afraid. The fever is worse. I think we should git Doc." He flung on his shirt as they walk to the house.

In the house, seventeen year old Charles was flipping pancakes, a hat line was visible in his blond hair. Charles, most often called Chuck, saw the worry in his brothers faces and knew his younger brother was no better. "We're going to need supplies soon," was all that he said.
Tex buttoned the cuff of his sleeve. "I'm going into town to git Doc any way. I'll get the supplies too." 

Texas was the oldest of the four Buck brothers. He was the tallest too. His dark hair was slightly wavy and he had a cowlick that made one wave always hang in his face.
Chuck started flipping the bacon. "Luke's that bad?"

He was the closest to Luke out of all the brothers, The main reason being that he and Luke had taken care of Ma and the ranch after Pa died and Tex and Tom had gone and fought in the Civil War. Tex and Tom were close because of the same thing. Yet, all the brothers were close to one another. They were all good with a gun, rope and whip. But fifteen year old Luke was different from the rest. He would read every book he could get his hands on and his brothers were sure he was going to become  a lawyer or teacher.

Chuck looked up at his brothers when they didn't answer his question right away. Tom was slowly putting butter on his pancakes. "He's that bad?" Chuck asked again.
Tex looked up at him. "Yea. He's that bad."

After breakfast Tom started on the dishes and Chuck took his turn at Luke's bedside. Tex finish some chores and then saddled his black. The horse was special to him because it was the last thing his father gave him. Tex could still hear his father voice as he said,"It one of the best horses, son. A true beauty. You treat this horse right, and he'll give you all he got."

A smile flickered across Tex face as he remembered his reply. "Pa," he'd said, "you sure do now how to give a gift!"

Tex mounted and rode to town at a canter.

                                                                    >>>><<<<

In town Tex's first stop was Doc's office. The Doc was out but Tex left a message with Mrs. Doc, as they called her. Then he rode to the General Store.
Inside he walked to the counter. He was not sure what it was but something didn't feel right. He leaned on the counter waiting for his turn. He heard someone coming up behind him. He turned. A man stood there looking at him. "You Texas Buck?" the man ask.
"That's me. What you want?" Tex's left elbow leaned on the counter, his right dangling near his tied down six shooter. It didn't look as if this man was looking for trouble, but it didn't hurt to be cautious.
"I'm Tim Moor. I'm a sheriff from a little town a couple days ride from here. I got to tell you and your brothers something. Can I meet you some place?" Moor's voice was quiet as if he didn't want to be over heard.
"You can ride along back to our ranch with me. I'll have to get some supplies first" Tex studied the man before him. Moor had a brown worn out Stetson on. His blue shirt was faded, but clean. The gun in his brown leather holster showed much use, but was in good condition.  A glance around the room revealed that Moor was cautious and took in everything around him.
"I'll meet you in front of the store." Moor left the room.
What could he want? Tex wondered.
The Buck Brothers didn't get many visitors from out of town. Tex got the supplies and went out of the store. Moor was waiting as he said he would be.
                                                                 >>>><<<<
Tex and Moor rode to the front of the house. Chuck came out of the barn and walked up to the porch. Tex introduce them. "Moor, my brother Charles. Charles, Tim Moor."
"Howdy. Call me Chuck. Tex, I thought you were going to bring back Doc not a visitor," Chuck said with a teasing grin.
"Oops, how did that happen?" Tex joked back, "He has something he wants to tell us."
Moor shook his head. "I don't think you'll be grinning when I tell you about it."
"Come on in. The coffee's on." Chuck tossed a glance at Tex. Tex just gave a slight shrug in return.
They went into the house and Chuck poured a couple cups of coffee.
"There is four of you, right?" Moor sat a stride a chair and leaned his arms on the back of it.
"Yea. There's also Tom and Luke. Luke ain't doing to good." Tex suddenly became came grim.
"That why you sent for a doctor?" Moor took a drink of coffee.
Chuck nodded. "Yea."
"What happened?" Moor seemed strangely worried.
"Happened? It's a fever." Chuck replied.
Relief flickered across Moors face. It was only for a second but Tex saw it. "It's bad?" Moor asked to casually.
Tex nodded.
"Good." Moor face turned red and he stumbled on. "I mean, not good that he's sick. It has something to do with what I came to tell you."
Tex stood up. "I'll get Tom and then you can tell us."
What could he want to tell us? Tex wondered. 
He put on his hat, and ducked out the door.
Tex had not seen Luke all day, and the last time he seen him it was dark. As he stepped through the door in to the large bed room the four brothers shared, Tex wasn't to sure he wanted to.
The light was dimmer in the room and Tex stopped to let his eyes adjust. A moan came from Luke's bed.
"You get Doc?" Tom asked from where he sat, his chair tipped back on two legs, his feet up on one of the bunks.
Tex walked over to the bed and and looked down at his youngest brother. Luke was pale, and getting thin. Sweat trickled down his face, but he was shivering.
"He was busy." Tex stood looking at Luke. He gave a little shake of his head. "I left a message, but I don't know how long it'll be before he gets here," Tex glanced up at Tom. "Come up to the house, Tom. We have a visitor, he wants to tell us something." Tex turned and walk out of the room.
In side the house, after being introduced, they seated themselves around the room and Moor told why he had come.
"A  month ago a man was found killed in my town. We aren't sure who he was or who killed him, but we do know he was a paid killer. We searched his pockets and found a letter and four hundred dollars. The letter was unsigned, so we don't know who sent it, but we do know why. Who ever sent it wants you dead and they don't care how. They just want you gone. I brought the letter with me." Moor pulled the letter out of his pocket and handed it to Tex.
Tex looked it over with a glance and handed it to Tom.
When the brother's didn't answer Moor continued, "I had heard of you before, but didn't know where you were. After about a month I got the information I wanted. I came to here and asked were I could find you. The people didn't seem to what to give me any information." Moor narrowed his eyes annoyed. "Then, today, I asked some cowhand and they said they just saw Tex go into the general store. That's how I found you. Just wanted to warn you, there's someone trying to kill you," Moor ended his story.
Chuck ran a hand through his blond hair. "Well, I don't know why any one would want to kill us. Though Pa did have some enemies."
The other brothers nodded. There was a long silence and then Tom stood up. "I better go check on Luke."
"No, you did it last. I'll go," Tex leaped to his feet and used his hat to push back the wave of hair in his face.  He opened the door but turned back a moment. "You are welcome to stay the night, Mr. Moor."
                                                                 >>>><<<<
The next morning was quiet. Moor left just after breakfast, and the brothers didn't feel like talking. Luke was no better. The Doctor still had not come and they had a knew worry. There were someone trying to kill them.  Why? That was the question.
                                                                  >>>><<<<
A while later, Doc rode up leading a horse. Tex, and Tom walked over to him.  "Howdy, boys. I found this horse down in Iron canyon. Looks like the horse that stranger rode into town," Doc said dismounting.
Tom glanced at the horse. "Tim Moor. Yea, that's his horse all right."
Doc wrapped the rains of his horse around the hitching rail. "There's blood on the saddle."
This brought a startled reaction from the brothers. With Tom looking over his shoulder, Tex rubbed the blood stain. It was still pretty fresh.
"You boys know him?" Doc asked.
"Yea. Some. He stayed the night. He left over an hour ago." Tom glanced at Tex. Tex nodded.
"What you Boys telling each other?" The Doc's eyes twinkled. "You boys are two chips off the old block. You talk without- well, talk'n." He opened his saddle bag and pulled out his black Doctors bag.
"Well..." Tex paused. "Twenty minuets after Moor left we heard a shot. Down Iron canyon way. Did you see anyone? anything?"
The Doc shook his head. "I didn't take the time to. I glanced around but didn't see anyone. I didn't notice the blood until later."
Tex knew the Doc well. His father and the Doc were best friends. He knew he could trust Doc with what Moor had come to tell them. "I'll tell you what he came to tell us after you take a look at that brother of mine. He sick, Doc. Real sick."
                                                                     >>>><<<<
After the Doc took a look at Luke. Tex and he sat in the house drinking coffee. Tom and Chuck had gone to take a look at Iron canyon.
Tex leaned an elbow on his knee. "What do think, Doc?"
Doc gave him a hopeful smile. "He'll be all right but he'll be weak for some time. Anyway, Who's this Tim Moor guy?"
Tex told the story in as few of words as possible.
"You and your brothers be careful, Tex. Real careful." Doc said, " I don't know what your Pa would say to all this. But I know one thing, you boys got to be careful."
 End of chapter one.
       So....What'cha think? It's not vary good, I know but it's a start. Do you want to read the next chapter? Any tips on how I could make it better?
~Kylie

Comments

  1. I had to skim over it because I have to make supper but I've heard it before from you. What i remember and read, i really enjoyed it. You're writing skills are amazing. (better than mine I think) xP

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very intriguing! And it definitely doesn't leave the reader waiting for the excitement! Don't wait too long to share the next chapter please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool I love it, I hope you post the next one to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie, you really capture the mood of the olden golden West. You leave us readers on tenterhooks for the fate of these cool brothers. All good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te