Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers/ Sneak Peek


Time to share some sneak peeks into The Buck Brothers! I can't wait to find out what you think! but first a little introduction to the characters.
 
Texas (Tex) Buck: Tex is the eldest of the "buck brothers", at the age of twenty. Tall, brown eyed, with slightly wavy dark hair. He is the quiet one. Even more so now, then before the Civil War. He is always to the point, with 'no play'n around.' Even though he listens to his brothers ideas and suggestions, his brothers know that in the end Tex is in charge. Under his seriousness he has a heart of gold, with a great love for God. He's always ready and willing to help out.

 Thomas (Tom) Buck: Tom is second in line out of the brothers. He's the closest to Tex.(He and Tex fought in the Civil War together) Tom can often read Tex's moods and even read his thoughts.  When Tex is gone, Tom takes charge over his younger brothers. He also has dark hair, like Tex, but it is straight. He's the kind of guy who is right in between. He's not overly serious, but is not a complete tease. Quick thinking, like all of the Bucks, but the  most level headed.

Charles (Chuck) Buck: The big tease of the family, Chuck has blond hair and a good humor. In an awkward moment he seems to always know what to say. Chuck's lighthearted and a maybe a little careless, but he stands right along side his brothers through thick and thin. He's the most vocal out of the brothers. He isn't afraid to let you know how he feels.

Luke Buck: (You don't get to see much of Luke in the book, though he's right in the middle of the action. You'll find out what I mean.) Besides being a book worm and scholar, Luke is pretty much a younger version of Tom. Most of the time he's easy going and good humored. At times he becomes like a "stern lawyer" as his brothers would put it. His brothers predicted that he'll become a teacher or lawyer. At least a successful business man. As for his looks, Luke is vary much like Tex.

Note: All the scenes are from either Tex's or Tom's point of view.
Now for those sneak peeks!

From: Chapter Two (Note: The scenes may  be changed later)
Chuck felt for a pulse. "He alive. Let's get him home. We need to fix him up first. Get a canteen. Let's see what we can do. I hope he can make it. "
Tom glanced around before stepping out of cover. He snatched his canteen and saddle bags and dashed back. Chuck had cut Moor's shirt open. The wound was in Moor's side, just below his ribs.
"Here." Tom tossed the canteen and saddle bag to Chuck. "I'll keep watch. Do the best you can but hurry." Tom held his rifle tightly in his hands and crouched down to face down the canyon.
It wasn't long before Moor was bandaged up. Chuck and Tom watched from behind the rocks to make sure no one was watching. They saw nothing, so carefully, they picked up Moor and started out from behind the rocks.They stopped short when they heard the horses spook and snort. They stood still and listened.  Tom scanned the tops of the cliffs. Nothing.
The horses calmed. Tom looked back at Chuck and shrugged. He took one more step  and looked around again.
"Look out!" Chuck yelled.
Tom jumped back and tumbled on top Chuck and Moor as two shots sounded. Rolling quickly up. Tom grabbed Moor's legs and hulled him back behind the boulders. Chuck grabbed his rifle that was leaning on the rocks. They crouched down and waited.
Tom clenched his jaw and leaned against the rocks. They were pinned down.
                                                                >>>><<<<
Tex sat by Doc and Luke. Luke groaned, tossing and turning on his bed, soaked with sweat. Tex didn't like it. He felt helpless. He took a gulp from his cup of coffee and tried to focus on what Doc was saying. His brother let out another groan.
Tex stood up. "Sorry, Doc. I got work to do." He looked back at Luke. "I'll be back in a little while. I'm going to check the cattle."
Tex was about to open the door when he heard the shots.
Doc's head jerked up. "That was in Iron Canyon."
Chuck and Tom! I've got go see if they need help.
Tex glanced at Doc. "Will you stay here? I've got to help my brothers."
"I'll go with you." Doc stood up.
"No. You got'a stay here with Luke. Besides, The town wouldn't know what to do without you."
Doc  nodded and sat back down. "Just like your Pa, you is," He said, "Straight to the point and quick to make up your mind."
Tex shrugged and picked up his hat. "I just pray I'm there in time. I just know something wrong. I can feel it." He nodded good-bye to the Doc and quickly walked out to the barn.
Chapter Three:
Tex could wait no longer. He jumped out of the bushes bringing up his rifle at the same time.  It made a clicking sound as he brought the lever forward then back, putting a cartrage into the chamber. The men froze.
"Don't turn around or it'll get mighty unpleasant," Tex said loudly, "Now put your rifles down behind you. No sudden moves or I might take it unfriendly like."
The men obeyed. Tex kept a close eye on the men as he used his feet to push the rifles farther away. "Now, wait a min...," The man Tex had learned was called Pit started.
"Don't talk. Just undo those gun belts and let them drop," Tex commanded, "Move careful now."
 Soon Tex had their weapons out of the men's reach. "Okay, you can turn around now." He took a step back. That way he would have more room in case they tried to jump him.
They turned slowly. Not taking any chances. When they turned, they looked into the calm brown eyes of a six foot tall man.
"What do you want?" Tuck asked gruffly, being more bold than he felt.
 "I want to know why you and your men are trying to kill me and my brothers," Tex demanded.

Chapter 4:
Tex's wrists were rubbed raw from trying to loosen the ropes, that tied his hand behind his back. His lips were dry and cracked. Swallowing felt as if his throat was lined with sand. He watched as the men talked in low tones. Their voices rose and fell with the wind, so Tex only heard bits and pieces of what they were saying.
One man, the one called Hank Moor, seemed to have a plan and the other three didn't like it.  Hank finally broke out from the group, picked up a canteen then continued toward him.
"Maze a' well drink somethin'," he said as he approached. "You may be sittin' here awhile."
Tex looked from the canteen to Hank. "How am I supposed to drink with my hands tied." The movement caused his lips to crack and bleed.
"I'd dump it in your big mouth but since you've been tied up so long, I'll untie you," Hank sneered. "Kid, you cover him."
Kid glanced up. He whipped his pistol out of his holster and stood watching Tex with a steady gaze. One that let you know he knew how to use the gun he held and wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Hank stooped and fiddled with the rope. Tex didn't wince but his jaw tightened slightly as Hank pulled the rope away, scraping Tex's raw wrists.

Chapter  5:
Bill opened the door to walk in, but stopped. Then he ran into the room. His boot pounded on the plank floor. Tex ducked in to the room, and scanned it quickly. Bill was rummaging through cabinets and papers on the floor. The room had been ransacked.
Bill stood up and shook his head. "They found the letter. It's gone. Nothing else is gone as far as I can tell." 
For a minute there was silences. Tex could feel pressure building in his chest. Clenching his jaw he tried to keep his feelings hidden. It had been years since Tex had felt such anger. An anger that burned and made him want to punch something or wring somebody's neck.
They aren't going to get away with this! Tex turned on his heel and left the room. Don't worry, little brother! We're coming after you.
The others followed Tex outside and he could feel their eyes on his back as he crouched and studied the ground. "They went that way." He pointed down the street.
Tom leaned over next to him and studied the ground. Then he nodded his agreement. "We need fresh horses and supplies."
Tex nodded and stood up. "Come on. We have a lot to do and no time to loose. Let's go."

Chapter 6:
"This is were they camped, all right." Tom nudged the pile of ashes with his boot.
Chuck nodded. "I think we found our lost trail. They must have circled around to this side before heading into town so as not to cause suspicion."
"It looks as if they're head'n to Lady Marge's." Ben hitched a leg around the pommel of his saddle.
"What's Lady Marge's?" The question came from Tex.
"A small town about twenty miles from here."
"I thought the town we were just at was the only town around."
Ben nodded. "It is. The only town where you can get supplies. But there are several small towns around. They're small. Real small. Lady Marge's is the largest, but only consists of a stable, jail, saloon, two houses, and Marge's place. You can get a good meal at Marge's. She's one fine cook. Quiet a few ranches around town." Ben grinned and added, "The Baker's live around there too."
"The Bakers?" Tom mounted his horse.
"Yep. A large family of the best horse riders in all of Texas. Never met them myself , but no one can beat them. So they say. They can get out of any horse, speed that no one else can. They might even be better then you boys," Ben grinned. "If that's possible."
"It's plenty possible," Tom said chuckling.
"I don't know." Ben raised his eyebrows. "You boys are full of surprises."
Tex shook his head. "Enough talk. Let's ride."   

Chapter 8:
There, they sat at a long oak table. There was one window that faced out to the front of the house. A second door lead in from the kitchen and through this Pauline entered.
She was dressed in a long skirt and blouse. Around her waist was a belt made of leather, but what surprised the Buck brothers was the fact that she wore a pistol.
Her father seeing their surprised expressions laughed. "She often rides alone or is left here at the ranch. I don't like the idea of her being unarmed," He explained, "And a six shooter is easier to keep by you then a rifle. She's good with it too."
Tex nodded in understanding. "Good morning, Miss Baker."
Pauline smiled shyly. "Good morning, um...Bucks. What do I call you? I can't go around saying Mr. Buck to all of you."

Chapter 10:
Tex rained in his horse and studied the county around him. No sign that anyone had been through there recently. Ether Kid lied or all sign had been erased. Both were likely. Should he have let Hank and Kid go? If he didn't find any sign now, all could be lost.
Tex rode on. It was possible they, who ever they were, had killed Luke already. That is what they wanted, wasn't it? The brothers dead. Why Hank had brought Luke all the way out here didn't make sense.
"Lord, please, protect my brother," Tex prayed aloud. "Give him strength. Show me how to find him."

And now I leave you  hanging! Did this catch you interest? Are you excited to find out more? I hope so!
                                ~Kylie

Comments

  1. interesting! Keep up the good work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I'd love to read more sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kylie! I tagged you here: https://tidbitsofahomeschoolgirl.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-simple-writers-tag.html You dont have to do it if you don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello! beautiful blog! I was wondering if you want to check out my blog?! her it is... thebiglifechange.blogspot.com

    lovely blog!

    Jacie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but you can't find it any where but on my blog. I wrote it. But If you would like to read it I will be posting each chapter on here. Just go to the My Books link at the top of the page.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te