Skip to main content

The Buck Brothers / Chapter 4

  
You all ready for this one?....
Chapter 4
Tom woke up and swung his legs to the floor. He ran his fingers through his brown hair and reached for his gun belt. His eyes swung over to Tex's bed. It hadn't been slept in.
He's fine. Tom tried to convince himself. He knows how to take care of himself.
The thought only eased the worry a little.
"Someth'n wrong?"
 Luke's weak voice made Tom jump, but on the sight of Luke laying awake in bed he grinned. "Thank the Lord!"
Chuck jerked upright in his chair, awakened by Tom's rejoicing. "What is it?" He asked in alarm.
Chuck grinned sheepishly when Tom and Luke laughed. He shook his head in annoyance and stood up. "Well, since you're awake, little brother, I'll go get you some beef broth. We need to get you strong in a hurry."
Luke wrinkled his nose. "Broth? No thanks! I'll have some bacon and eggs."
Tom felt a flood of relief. "I think our brother's back with the living." He grinned at Luke.
"Yes, sir. but we still have do all his work," Chuck grumbled.
Tom laughed and stood up. "Well, we better get to work, Chuck! We have extra chores to do."
 We'll have to do Tex's too.
Worry filled Tom again but kept a teasing smile on his face.
Luke smiled weakly but it soon faded and he squeezed his eye shout. "Man, is my head pounding."
"Best lay quiet Luke." Tom laid a hand on Luke's shoulder as he past him on his way out the door.
"I'll bring you your broth, after I'm done with chores" Chuck said as he ducked out the door right behind Tom.
Luke didn't argue this time.
>>>><<<<
Tom froze. Tex's black quarter horse, Blaze, was standing near the barn door with his saddle still on. Several branches were tangled in the dragging rains.
Somethings wrong. I knew it! Tom thought fearfully.
The horse looked up at him and blinked his eyes. He shied away from Tom as he took a few steps closer. "Come on, Blaze. Come on, boy," Tom talked softly as he stepped closer. He took hold of the rains. "It's okay, boy." He ran a hand over the stallions nose.
Tom lead Blaze into the barn, stabled and fed him. As Blaze ate, Tom removed his saddle and carefully looked Blaze over.
The inspection held no clues to what had happen and only left Tom more confused and worried them before.
Tom heard Chuck shout his name but didn't shout back for fear of startling Blaze. Blaze was jumpy without Tex being there. With Tex there he was a prefect horse.
"Tom!" Chuck yelled stepping into the barn.
Blaze jumped at the shout. Snorting and stomping his feet he backed into the rails.
Tom pressed up to the wall, trying to stay out of the way of Blaze's prancing hoofs. He inched his way to the gate and swiftly scaled it, landing in a soft puff of dust on the other side.
"Tom, you all right?" Chuck asked concerned.
"Yea. Fine. But I don't know about Tex. Look." Tom indicated  Blaze with his head.
Chuck looked and his brow furrowed. "Tex ain't in the house."
"Blaze was outside when I found him. He looks perfectly fine. Just hungry."
Chuck thought a second. "You think Tex could be around here some where?"
Tom shook his head. "Blaze had to drag his rains through the brush. He made it home in his own."
Chuck remained silent. Tom was angry at himself for not having gone and found Tex earlier. "I've had enough! Let's get these chores done. I'm going to find Tex."
Chuck grabbed a milking stool. "We should be able to backtrack Blazes trail."
Tom turned on his heel. "I'll go tell Doc what's going on."
>>>><<<<
As Tom entered the house he looked up and met Doc's questioning eyes. He shook his head in answer.
Tom moved to sit at the table. He took off his hat and threw it on  a chair. Doc had made breakfast and served up the eggs and bacon, placing the plate in front of Tom.
"I got to go home, Tom. My wife's probably worried." Doc sat across from Tom."I can bring Moor with me back to town. It's a bumpy ride, but I think he'll be okay if I go slow."
Tom nodded. "I understand, Doc." Tom let out a slow breath. "Tex's horse came home with out him." He stabbed his fork into a bite eggs.
"And you are going to try'n find him." Doc answered. It was more of a statement than a question.
"Yea. As soon as the chores are done."
"I don't know, Tom. Give it more time. Tex is as good as any scout and you know it. He knows how to stay out of sight if need be. He's like an Indian and could disappear if he wanted to. I say you're running into this too head long, Tom. You know your brother better then that."
Tom leaned back in his chair.
Tex is a pretty good scout, but something had happened.
Chuck entered the room. He glanced from Doc to Tom, who was leaning back in his chair arms crossed, brow wrinkled in thought. Chuck set the milking pail down by the door.
"I'll go wash up." Chuck turned to go. "Oh, Doc," he added looking over his shoulder, "Luke's up. I told him that I'd bring him some broth. Mind heat'n some up?"
"Sure. I'll take it to 'im. I have to check on him before I leave anyway." Doc grabbed a kettle.
Tom took a slow breath and nodded as if to answer a question. "Your right, Doc. But if he's not back by noon, I'm go'n to look for him."
Doc nodded in understanding. "I'll be pray'n, Tom. You can count on that." Breakfast was eaten with little conversation after that.
                                          _______________________
"Take it easy, Moor." Tom pulled Moor into the buckboard.
Moor asked for a drink and Doc gave him a sip of water. "We better take the long way. Around Iron mountain, instead of goin' through Iron canyon," Chuck suggested thumbing back his hat a little. "It may take us all day, maybe more, but it safer."
Iron mountain was more of a hill. A large hill or a small mountain. Iron canyon ran through it, which cut down going to and from town in half. To go over Iron mountain with a wagon was impossible. The country was too ruff and rocky. Another trail led around Iron mountain, but it was hardly used.
"We? You comein' along?" Doc raised his eyebrows.
"You think we are going to let you drive back with out help?" Chuck shook his head. "Doc this is no time to be ride'n alone."
"I doubt I'd get shot. It's you they're after."
Chuck shrugged. "I know. But you're leave'n our ranch and they did shoot Moor."
"True. But he came to tell you they're trying to kill ya. You would be better off stay'n here, Chuck."
"Doc," Chuck crossed his arms. "I'm come'n that's the last word."
Doc hesitated, then nodded. "Okay, Son. Come if you a mind to." Doc knew he couldn't argue with a Buck that had made up his mind. They were to stubborn.
"I'll be staying here." Tom handed a package to Doc."If you's takein' the long way you'll need food."
Doc nodded and tossed the package into the wagon. "Well, we best get a move on, Chuck. We got a long trail a head of us." Doc boosted himself onto the wagon seat.
Chuck grabbed the side of the wagon and leaped up next to Doc. Doc reached down and shook Tom's hand. "I'll be prayin' all goes well here, Tom."
 "God be with you, Doc." Tom squeezed his friends worn hand and stepped back from the wagon.
He look up at Chuck and their eyes met for a second. Tom nodded goodbye as the wagon pulled away. He stood staring after them but he wasn't seeing them. Tex was on his mind.
Where is he? Tom thought frustrated.
Tom's eyes drifted over scene before him. In the corral a horse shook its head to be rid of a pesky fly. Heat waves danced across the hills. Insects hummed. A hawk glided gracefully above. Not far away was Iron mountain, brown and rocky.  All was quiet.
Tom took one more glance around and turned to the house. Luke was asleep when Tom entered. He heaved a sigh as he sat down in a chair and flung his hat at a hook. Stretching out his legs, he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. Not because he was tired. He was pondering his brothers whereabouts.
He didn't know how long he sat there, but after some time he opened his eyes. He found Luke studying his face.
"Something's wrong. What is it?" Luke asked.
Tom looked at Luke a moment and sighed. "Maze will tell ya."
Within a few minuets he told Luke the adventures from the last few days.
Luke shook his head in amazement. "Well, of all things.Who would of known so much could happen in such little time."
"May have seem short to you, but forever to me. You're forgettin' you were sleeping most of that time," Tom pointed out.
"Well, if Tex ain't back by noon, you best be get'n your work done."
Tom nodded. "I guess your right. There's only a couple hours to noon now. Only there's one problem." He jammed his hat back on his head.
Luke sat up slowly. "Oh?"
"Who's ganna stay with you?"
Luke shrugged. "Nobody I reckon. I'll stay by the house. I'll be fine."
"I don't like that idee a'tall." Tom shook his head.
Luke ran a hand through his snarled hair. "Well, You can go for short times and come back every hour or two if it makes you feel better. I ain't going no where."
Tom shook his head, but agreed. "Alright. You want to sit on the porch  awhile?"
Luke laughed. "I can make it there myself, Tom. I'm not going to have you treat me like a baby."
"I don't want you doing to much, Luke. Doc said for you to take it easy. So, that's exactly what you're going to do."
"All right! All right," Luke shook his head. "Man, I can't wait to be well."
"I've work to do. Take my word and take it easy," Tom commanded his brother as he stepped out the door.
As Tom pulled the door closed he heard Luke mumble, "Boy, is he stubborn."
>>>><<<<
Tex back was sore from leaning against a tree all night. His wrists were rubbed raw from trying to loosen the ropes that bound his hands behind his back. His lips were dry and cracked. When he swallowed his throat felt like it was coated in sand. He studied his four captures as they talked in low tones. Tex caught a few words here and there as their voices rose and fell with the wind.
One man, the one called Hank Moor, seemed to have a plan and the other three didn't like it.  Hank finally broke out from the group, scooped up a canteen then continued toward Tex.
"Maze a' well drink somethin'." Hank stopped at Tex's side. "You may be sittin' here awhile."
I've need a drink all night and now your giving me one? Tex thought bitterly.
Tex looked from the canteen to Hank. "How am I supposed to drink with my hands tied." The movement of his lips caused them to crack and bleed.
"I'd dump it in your big mouth but since you've been tied up so long, I'll untie you." Hank sneered. "Kid, you cover him."
Kid glanced up and whipped his pistol out of his holster. He stood watched Tex with a steady gaze. One that let you know he knew how to use the gun he held and wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Hank stooped and fiddled with the rope. Tex tightened his jaw as the rope were pulled away, rubbing his raw wrists.
Hank stood and dropped the canteen next to him. "Drink." He demanded, turned, and walked back to the camp. 
Tex reached for the canteen but his fingers were sleeping and he couldn't unclasp then. He shook his hand trying to get feeling in his fingers. After a minute sharp pains shot through his fingers. When the pains subsided  his hands were left feeling fuzzy. He closed and opened his fist until they felt normal again.
The first sip Tex took from the canteen stung his dry lips. He rested the canteen on his leg a moment before he took another drink.
Tex looked at his wrists. Red blood speckled his right wrist and both wrist were raw. He took off his bandanna and soaked it in water from the canteen. He wrapped it around his bleeding wrist. When the water first touched the raw skin it stung, but in a moment it's coolness eased the pain. Tex leaned back on the tree. He watched the men saddle their horses.
What did Hank mean by saying I would may be here awhile? Tex wondered.
Hank and the other men were hurrying to pack the camp. Were they going to leave him here? How long?
Hank returned and scooped up the canteen. "Didn't drink much," he commented. "Never mind. Gonna tie you back up."
The other men mounted their horse and waited. "Hurry up, Hank! We've wasted most the day already." One yelled.
Hank jerked Tex's hands back behind him and tied them tightly. "We'll be back. Just sit here and wait." Hank strode to his horse. He took the canteen with him.
Tex shook his head. They better not be gone long or I'll be half dead from the midday heat.
                                                                >>>><<<<
A hour later Tex's face was burning from the relentless sun. His wrists were worse then ever now and one slight move hurt something awful.
Tex knew he had to get to shade. Such a large amount of sun made him sleepy. He blinked himself wake. In spite of the pain in his wrists he tried to move into the shade of the tree. It did no good.
The sun was now right over head.
Noon. Tex groaned. It's not even the hottest time of the day yet!
Tex licked his lips. They tasted of blood and sweat. He shook his head trying to stay awake.
The time passed slowly. Oh, so slowly. The sun was slowly making it's was across the sky. Tex just sat, dry and hot. His fingers were numb again.
I'm as helpless as a spring calf!
"Tex? Are you okay?" Tom was by Tex side. He drew out his knife and cut the ropes.
Tex managed to nod but couldn't answer. His mouth was dry as cotton. Tom helped Tex to his feet.
"The horses are over there." Tom pointed.
Tom turned to lead the way but Tex was feeling dizzy and staggered into him. Tex tried to tell Tom to give him a minute but it came out all wrong. Tom helped sit back him down. "I'll get the horses." He turned and ran.
Tex lean his head on his hand as the ground swayed under him. Tom came back leading the horses. "Tex, here's a drink of water." He held out a canteen.
Tex took a gulp of the cool water and let slowly run down his throat.
"Thanks," Tex croaked.
"Can you get on Blaze?" Tom asked.
"Well, I ain't dead!" Tex stood to his feet. "Sure, I can ride. Another drink and I'll be as good as I always was."
Tom grinned.
>>>><<<<
Tex and Tom exchanged stories as they rode back to the ranch.  "Well, I guess me n' Chuck owe you our lives," Tom said.
"Well, you just saved my hide." Tex shrugged. "We're even."
They rode quietly for a minute. "Wait." Tex pulled to a stop.
"What is it?" Tom rained in beside him.
"It don't feel right. It's too quiet."
Tom listened. Tex was right. No bird calls. No horse whines. Nothing. Nothing but the sound of their horses breathing. "You're right. Something's wrong."
Tex urged his mount in to a canter.  He stopped on top of a small rise and looked toward the ranch. It was to far to see clearly. Tex opened his saddle bag and found his field glasses. They were the one he used during the war.
Tom watched Tex placed the field glasses to his eyes.
A frown crossed Tex's face.
Uh oh. Tom took a deep breath.
"Here." Tex passed Tom the glasses.
Tom lifted them to his eyes and his heart sank. The ranch was a wreck! A barn door was open and the bedroom door hung one hinge. The wash basin was tipped and the corral gate was open. Every horse was gone. The chair that normally sat on the porch was in the yard. A dread came over Tom. That chair that was in the yard was where he had last seen Luke.
Tom looked at Tex. They were both thinking the same thing. Tex slammed his spurs in to his horse's sides and it charged down the hill side. Tom was at his heels. They drew up just out of sight of the ranch house. Tex took the field glasses back from Tom and brought them to his eyes.
"All's quiet." Tex put the field glasses in his bag. "Let's go up behind the barn."
Tom and Tex made it to the barn and still nothing stirred. "Let's go." Tom took off for the house.
The house was a wreck. Pots lay here and there. The table was on its side. No one was there.
Tom took one quick glance around, turned and ran into the bedroom. The beds were a mess. Things scattered all over the place. But there was no sign of Luke.
"Tom!" Tex ran into the room and held out a paper. Tom took it and read;
Bucks, 
We have your brothers. Ones off in the canyon. We're taking the young one with us. He fine. For now. 
It was not signed. Tom looked up and Tex. Both frowned in worry.
Luke's in big trouble.

I loved writing this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it too!
~Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. You posted this next chapter quicker than I expected! *Winks*

    Everything happens so fast! First, Tom and Chuck are in trouble. Then Tex is in a predicament. And, to top it off, you have them drag off Luke - half sick to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I've felt like I've had more time on my hands lately.
      *grins* Yep!*laugh* It was so much fun to write!

      Delete
  2. Sounds crazy! *laughs*
    Keep up the good work! *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laugh* I know, right? That's what makes it so fun to write!
      Okay, I will try! *winks*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te

July 2019

Picture Removed By Author My shirt says "My Brother Graduated from  the USMC" and he did! Hurrah! Hey! It's me. I notices that I haven't been putting vary many post about my life on here. I thought I would share this month. A pretty busy month!                   It started with my favorite holiday! Independence Day! To bad it comes only once a year! Picture Removed By Author                                                                        Cherry picking!                                             I road with Cody to visit some cousins! It was so fun! Picture Removed By Author                                                                      We're there!                                                     Now we're on the way home.                                                 Home again. Did my hair. What do you think? Picture Removed By Author                             The next weekend it's back to see my co