Skip to main content

I'm writing my next book!

I drew this in one of my school books! *laugh*


Hey all! Not to lang ago I did a post on my book ideas. Fill free to go back and read the post and comment on the one you like best! Book idea #4 got the most votes. And........... It's the book I chose to write! It was really hard to choose but I finally settled on A Prayer Is the Light in the Darkness! I had hoped to finish the first chapter to put on with my announcement but it's not quite done. I can put what I have done so far on though. It's not that good, it isn't edited and it's not to any of the good parts yet but I'll share!

                                            A Prayer Is the Light in the Darkness
                                                                Chapter One
                                                                 To the West!
Emma brush a wisp of hair off the little girls forehead and placed a wet cloth on it. "Poor Dear," Emma said quietly.
  The elderly Doctor Edmund opened the door quietly. Seeing Emma in the room, he said in surprise, "You're still here, Emma? You were supposed to leave a hour ago!"
  Emma gave a start. "A hour ago? Is it really that late? I didn't realized."
  Dr. Edmund chuckled and shook his head. "You work to hard, Emma. The nurses need to have breaks too."
  "I know, Doc. I was busy. I didn't think to check the time."
 Dr. Edmund walked to the bed and checked the little girls pulse. Then he said, "Most the nurses check the clock a hundred times a day, just waiting to get off work. When did she wake last?"
  It took Emma a second to realize that Dr. Edmund was asking about the sick girl. "Oh. This morning," she said quickly.
  "You now. You're different. It's not often we get a nurse that forgets to go home," Doc said, his eyes full of humor.  "You're a good nurse, Emma. You put your heart into your work.Thank you for all your help, Emma."
  Emma felt heat crawling up her face. "I enjoy my job, Dr. Edmund. It's hard but I've never found hard to hurt anyone," she said.
 "Nor have I," Dr. Edmund took the girl"s temperature. "Still isn't going down. Did she take any water?"
  "She had a sip, but not much."
  Dr. Edmund stood up. He studied the thin girl lying in the bed. He gave a slight shake of his head. "I'll send a nurse up to take your place. Don't stop on the way out, or you'll never leave," He told Emma with a smile.
  Emma nodded, smiling back. "I wont," She promised. 
A few minuet later a nurse came in to the room and Emma rushed to get her cloak. She loved working with Dr. Edmund. He was old and jolly. He was kind and gentle, and no mater what happened, he kept his head. No freaking out. He had taught her much.
  Emma tightly wrapped her cloak around her slender shoulders and pulled the hood over her chestnut colored hair. Then she stepped outside into the chilly spring, night air. "At least it isn't raining this time," She thought as she walk home. 
   She was welcomed by her sister, who jumped on her the minute she went through the door. Emma laughed. "What's the special occasion," she asked as she hung up her cloak.
  Betty jumped up and down, and shouted, "We got a letter from Lars! Father won't read it until we're all here! Hurry up, Emma!"
  "Let me go freshen up and I'll be right there," Emma said over her shoulder as she rushed up to her room. 
  Emma quickly rinsed her hands and face and changed out of her nursing dress and apron. She ran a brush through her hair a couple times before tying it up behind her neck with ribbon that matched her light blue calico dress. Then, Emma rushed to the sitting room.
  "Sorry, I'm late," She said sliding into a chair.
"You better be," Jeff teased,"What were you trying to do? Make us die of suspense?"
  Emma shook her head smiling. 
"We saved you some supper. It's in the oven keeping warm," Mother informed Emma.
  Betty moaned,"Oh, can't we read Lars' letter first." 
 "Go ahead, Father," Emma urged.
"All right," Father said opening the letter. "Dear Family," he read. "I'm doing great! How are all you back at home? It sunny here. It gets hot around midday now."
  "Lucky him." Emma said, "I wish I was there. It still to cold for me, here."
"My ranch is doing good," Father continued to read, "I got a good price for my last herd. I've hired two more cow hands. I need more men to take care of my ranch now that I've got my herds started. I just have to tell you all.  I'm engaged to Mary Morris."
  The room erupted with squeals and shouts. 
 Father grinned and continued to read the letter,"All of you are invited of course. It will be May 20th. If Jeff is willing, I'd like him to be best man. I can't wait for you to meet Mary. She's a beautiful girl and I know you will love her! Sorry this is so short, Your son and brother, Lars." Father looked up as he finished the letter.
   "Well, being best man gives me an excuse to go to Colorado, I guess," Jeff said. "Maybe if I like it there, I'll move out there."
  Emma was thrilled about Lars getting married, but was frowning. "May 20th, but that's to close to when Mother is going to have the baby," she said.
 "We know. He wrote us about it. He wanted to make it work but Mary's family is moving at the end of May. So, they have to have the wedding before they do," Mother said.
 "We've talked it over, and decided that Jeff and Emma can go if they can get off work. You will have to pay for yourselves though," Father informed them.
 "But I'm supposed to be here for the birth," Emma said.
Mother smiled and said, "I'll be all right. I  at least want some of us to go ."
  "Can't I go, Father? I want to go," Betty begged.
Father shook his head, "Sorry, Betty girl. You're to young. Your Mother and I want you safe with us."
 Betty's eyes filled with tears. "But I want to go. I want to see Lars and meet Mary," Betty said.
  Mother hugged her, saying, "So do we, dear. But we can't. Okay?"
Betty nodded crying. "Okay," She said quietly.
   "Good, girl," Jeff said brightly. 
"You taking it so boldly tells me that your growing up to be a fine young woman," Father said.
   Betty glowed with the praise and a little smile want over the wet face.
 "Remember, Betty," Emma said kindly,"You're going to have to take my place, and take care of Mother.That's a big responsibility. Think you can do it?"
   Betty thought carefully before saying,"I'll try... IF, I can sleep in your room."
 Everyone laughed. Emma nodded and said laughingly, "All right. You can sleep in my room while I'm gone."
   Oh, she loved this sister of hers!
                                             ____________________
                                                         A month later:
  The train sounded it's whistle as it started down the track. Emma and Jeff waved at the three figures standing on the platform until they were out of sight. Then they settle down into the plush benches. Emma leaned on her hand as she watched the trees fly by. 
   "I can't believe this is really happening," She said after a while.
"M hm." Was Jeff's answer from where he sat with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes closed.
  "Dr. Edmund was so generous to give me three weeks off and he said that if I need more time off to just send him a letter so he'll know," Emma said still gazing out the window.
  "M hm," Jeff answered again. Then after a moment he said, "I deserved three weeks off."
 Emma looked at him critically. "Deserved it? You don't deserve anything, Jeffrey Nolan! You had to nearly beg for three weeks! You should be thankful. And quit talking about deserving things. Nobody deserves anything!"
   Jeff grinned at her. Emma shook her head. "Brothers," she said turning back to the window. 'He was just teasing me,' she thought.
   They remained on the train that whole day. Sometimes the train would stop and people would get off and others would get on. Emma watched as the land changed. The trees grew more scatter, and the towns smaller and further apart. 
  They stopped for the night and stayed at a small hotel. The next morning they boarded a different train, on a different track. That was when Emma was really glad that Jeff had come with her. She would have felt completely lost and scared if he hadn't.
  When the train stopped that evening, Jeff got their luggage and they got off the train. Emma looked around her. She couldn't believe how flat and rugged the land had become! And the town consisted of barely four streets! 
 They again stayed in a hotel and the next morning got on the stage. They would see Lars that afternoon! Emma was so excited! She hadn't seen Lars for over two years! 
 The ride was bumpy and it was hard to stay on the hard bench of the stage. Emma held on to Jeff's arm to keep from sliding off. At one time they went over a large bump. Emma fell forward into the elderly mans lap in front of her. Emma was horribly embarrassed, but the man just chuckled and helped her back into her seat. When Emma apologized he grinned and said," It was a pleasure to break your fall, Ma am." 
  'At least people are polite around here,' thought Emma.
                                                    To be continued...

                                                       
    Well, that's it! Hope you enjoyed! Please comment below!
   Oh, and any tips on writing would be greatly appreciated.
                 Kylie Nancy

Comments

  1. Emma seems like a very conscientious young lady. I'm curious to know what will become of her out west.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like I'm back

 Hi there. It's Kylie here. It's been a while, hey? *laughs* Well, I'm back for at least one post. I thought I would just give a little update, about my crazy, exciting, boarding, sad, life. To begin with: my brother's wedding! I know I left off blogging right before their wedding because life was SO busy then... and hasn't really slowed down at all. The wedding was fabulous! It still brings a smile to my face to remember that special day. My brother and his bride were beaming with joy and it just radiated over the whole place. My heart still warms with the memory of how they walked out man in wife, their faces lit up with happiness! *sigh* If only I could live that day over again. But now for a few pictures... just a couple. *winks* *laughs* Yeeaahhh... Jew a couple pictures. *winks* And there's more! Now they are going to have a baby!!!!!!! I'm going to be an aunt! *squeals* *does happy dance* Isn't that amazing?! Such a blessing! 💖💗💖💗 The baby won

Book Reviews // Charley Skedaddle

Then came a fearful yowling from directly above him. It wasn't just a screeching now but something more-scratching on the shingles right over him. The painter (Panther, cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma...)was back- and hungry! Did she know he was here alone? Charley Skedaddle By Patricia Beatty I give this book Three stars Okay, so I gave a book three stars. The thing is... I liked the book but... well, I'll explain later. Plot: Charley Quinn was never scared  of a fight or to get his hands dirty, after all he's Bowery Boy. A member of one of the toughest gangs in New York City. After his brother is killed at Gettysburg, Charley vows revenge and enlists with the Union army as a drummer boy. But the horrors of war become a reality- and he sees his best friend killed- Charley is terrified.  He "skedaddles" from both the union army he deserted and the Confederates who arrest him as spy. Charley heads for the Blue Mountains. There he meets Granny Bent, an orne

Changing

        Hi all! I'm calling this post "Changing." You will soon find out why. My Interests: I like to read, write, paint, draw, take pictures, and I love music! My Personality: I like elegant but am also a bit of a tomboy. I daydream a lot! I love to try new things!(Even when it scares me almost to death! *Wink*) I dive into things, and sometimes end up embarrassed. *sigh* I wish I wouldn't do that! I like: Long dresses, aprons, dressing up, guns, hunting, doing cartwheels, running, paper, pencils, leather, books, Friends, bonfires, mountain air, cowboy hat, cowboy boot, cameras, old fashion clothing, and more! I hate: Snakes! Mice, Bats, spiders, spelling. I guess I don't hate much. Hey, It's a wonderful life!   I Dream Of:   Standing on a quiet mountain... Writing in a leather bound notebook... Wearing a long dress. Like one of these!  (All these picture are from Pinterest) Why am I te